What are you all up to

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:57

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:57

Got back from Fisher Field yesterday after a great weekend away.  Downside is van is filthy bit that will have to wait, more important jollities to enjoytongue-out House more or less decorated although not bothering with outside

brue replied on 17/07/2019 09:29

Posted on 17/07/2019 09:29

Hmm, just what I need some sort of bug has got me, was hoping to go out today but will stay at home instead. 

Still warm here! 

moulesy replied on 17/07/2019 09:58

Posted on 16/07/2019 21:34 by DSB

Not too bothered about cruises, although we have caravanning friends who love them.  At one point, I almost considered a continental river cruise but I couldn't find one that was dog friendly   We'll probably stick with caravanning for the forseeable.

We're in Cornwall since Monday for 2 weeks.  Here for our youngest daughter's graduation (Falmouth Ui - on Thursday).

David

Posted on 17/07/2019 09:58

Please pass on our congratulations to Anna, David. Have a good time celebrating and enjoy your stay in Cornwall, but please don't use up all the good weather! smile

Tammygirl replied on 17/07/2019 10:02

Posted on 17/07/2019 10:02

Don’t get me wrong I’ve been to some really exotic places in ships but a cruise wouldn’t suit me I don’t particularly like being in crowds being herded around.

But the choice is so great these days that you can pick and choose how big a ship you travel on. There is of course no obligation for you to use the ships excursion's.  We quite often do our own thing. Depending on where in the world we are, safety comes first, so if in doubt we use the ships services, if it ok and safe to do so we make our own arrangements.

We tend to use cruises as tasters, if we like a place and want to revisit we then use hotels. We both like the variety on cruise ships, lots of things to do during the day and in the evening you have a choice of entertainment if you so wish. 

Cruise ships come in many shape and form, from the huge glitzy american in your face cruise ships, to Cunards ocean liners, to the small ships around Croatia and then for those who have very deep pockets the majestic sailing ships. 

However they are not for everyone.

Tammygirl replied on 17/07/2019 10:05

Posted on 17/07/2019 09:29 by brue

Hmm, just what I need some sort of bug has got me, was hoping to go out today but will stay at home instead. 

Still warm here! 

Posted on 17/07/2019 10:05

Sorry to hear that brue, hope you have a relaxing day none the less. 

Its dull here today with rain threatened later, so must get a wiggle on and get some work done before it comes.

Congratulations to your daughter DSB, have a good trip and a good day at the graduation.

DavidKlyne replied on 17/07/2019 12:33

Posted on 16/07/2019 22:24 by Oneputt

Congratulations to your daughter David, enjoy the graduation.  

Don’t get me wrong I’ve been to some really exotic places in ships but a cruise wouldn’t suit me I don’t particularly like being in crowds being herded around.  

Posted on 17/07/2019 12:33

Cruises won't be for everyone. As I am not keen on flying, which I appreciate tends to limit our options, so we use them to visit places that it would be difficult/time consuming to get to by other means. I wonder if people have misconceptions about cruises, I did! Now we have a little more experience we know what to expect. We tend not to use the ship based excursions as we find them expensive for what many of them are. We usually wander off the ship during the mornings getting back on board for lunch (we have already paid for that!) I don't know if its only P&O and Cunard but they do have a couple of formal nights per cruise. Something you either love or hate! There are always alternative eating places if you don't fancy getting the DJ out!!!

I quite like the idea of a River Cruise but its the logistics of getting to the departure point and the return point that puts me off a bit. Perhaps the man in Seat61 will be able to help?

David

Goldie146 replied on 17/07/2019 12:55

Posted on 17/07/2019 12:55

It’s a miserable wet day here at New England Bay. But we’ve been lucky, we arrived in hot sun on Monday afternoon, and yesterday was perfect. Cloudy in the morning while we put the awning up. Then warm and sunny till we went inside in the late evening. There’s was a power cut in the evening - not just the site - based in Dumfries. It didn’t bother us as OH was cooking supper (Piri Piri chicken stir fry) ably assisted by his sous chef (who shopped, chopped and washed up).

Wherenext replied on 17/07/2019 13:59

Posted on 17/07/2019 13:59

Up early this morning to drive the ladies to Manchester airport for their flight to Italy. Haven't told Mrs WN about Lunar as didn't want to put a dampener on the holiday. Taking it in for some work tomorrow so will be interesting to hear what the dealer has to say. 

We were already talking of swapping the van for something different in the next year or so as some of the work doesn't look like it will stand up to scrutiny in a couple of years. Have to have a chat with Mrs WN when she gets back. I daresay this will affect its p/x price.

RedKite replied on 17/07/2019 14:52

Posted on 17/07/2019 14:52

We had a good viewing of the partial eclipse last night as staying with friends they tried to set their telescope up but it seemed to not want to work last night ok this morning so made do with binoculars instead try to take some photos not good enough really an appropriate night as 50 years since first moon walk. Still very warm here and next week a heatwave again and water restrictions in a many areas of France.

Wn hope your family enjoy Italy and hope all ok with your caravan issues tomorrow.

Tammygirl replied on 17/07/2019 16:25

Posted on 17/07/2019 12:33 by DavidKlyne

Cruises won't be for everyone. As I am not keen on flying, which I appreciate tends to limit our options, so we use them to visit places that it would be difficult/time consuming to get to by other means. I wonder if people have misconceptions about cruises, I did! Now we have a little more experience we know what to expect. We tend not to use the ship based excursions as we find them expensive for what many of them are. We usually wander off the ship during the mornings getting back on board for lunch (we have already paid for that!) I don't know if its only P&O and Cunard but they do have a couple of formal nights per cruise. Something you either love or hate! There are always alternative eating places if you don't fancy getting the DJ out!!!

I quite like the idea of a River Cruise but its the logistics of getting to the departure point and the return point that puts me off a bit. Perhaps the man in Seat61 will be able to help?

David

Posted on 17/07/2019 16:25

That's pretty much what we do David re the excursions.  We don't mind flying which is a good job as very few cruises leave from Scotland laughing

Lots of cruise lines have formal nights but as you said you don't have to take part in them. NCL are a casual cruise line, open seating for dinner, we like that as you get to meet new guests every night. No fixed time for dinner either so just go when you feel like it. 

Although the press keep saying that there are hundreds of cruises out there and they are all trying to get your business the prices have rocketed in the last few years. Think I will wait a bit to see what appears in the late deals wink 

The river cruise we fancy it the Danube but which section of it to choose, also fancy the SAGA one that sails from Moscow - St Petersburg or your can do it the other way round. The only thing with that is you have to book the cruise fairly sharpish and then apply for your visa, which doesn't come cheap. It can take up to 3 months to get it and can only be done at London and Edinburgh. 

Francis replied on 17/07/2019 16:53

Posted on 17/07/2019 16:53

WN. Our Lunar is just coming up for 2 years old and we are very disappointed about the situation at Lunar. Our van came with the 6 year water ingress warranty which according to some of the Linar Facebook groups is now void. We have had a few minor issues fixed under warranty over the past 2 years no problems and as far as I can tell nothing else needs done just now here’s hoping that there are no major issues crop up. We were discussing things today and may look at changing next year but we like the van so will see how things go also no doubt the PC values will suffer if Lunar disappear. 

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook