What are you all up to

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:57

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:57

Got back from Fisher Field yesterday after a great weekend away.  Downside is van is filthy bit that will have to wait, more important jollities to enjoytongue-out House more or less decorated although not bothering with outside

ADD46 replied on 23/02/2020 20:12

Posted on 23/02/2020 20:12

TTDA just saw your message on the previous page. I can get all the info later in the year when it starts to grow. Thank you for your knowledge in advance. 

Freddy55 replied on 23/02/2020 20:15

Posted on 23/02/2020 20:04 by ADD46

Freddy55 sadly that’s the only picture I’ve got of it. It only stands about 60cm high and each year ( I’ve had it since 2014) it has only managed one flower. I looked online and think it might be “blue moon”. Very pretty though and I smile and think of Mum each time it manages that one flower! 

Posted on 23/02/2020 20:15

I’ve had a look online, and yes, it does look very similar. It’s listed as a bush rose, “compact”. If it were mine, I’d be inclined to prune it to around 12” when you can see the buds sprouting, that should encourage it to produce more side shoots, hence more flowers. A top dressing of ‘Toprose’ would probably help too. What do others think?

nelliethehooker replied on 23/02/2020 20:33

Posted on 23/02/2020 20:33

We had very heavy rain through the night, and there were large pools on the roads we took to Dunwich Heath today. Mixed weather when we were out walking this morning with strong winds at times, and an the odd rain shower.

Takethedogalong replied on 23/02/2020 20:40

Posted on 23/02/2020 20:40

I have got a Blue Moon, mine is climbing variety, so gets quite tall. When I first had it, it didn’t do much, but I moved it in front of sunny house wall, and it is now doing great, lots of repeat flowers. I think they need it quite warm, but that goes for a lot of roses. I thought they were Hybrid Tea. Agree, cut it back to encourage more shoots.

You sound like you love roses Freddy, take a look at this one. I love stripy roses, but this is a bit different, rather than white stripes running up the petals, this has white edges around deep red petals. It’s called Baron Girod d Lain. 

brue replied on 23/02/2020 20:58

Posted on 23/02/2020 20:58

Nellie, you've done really well with your travels, considering some of the weather that's been around.

I thought ADD46's rose might be a Blue Moon too. Like TDA we've got one, it's a straggly climber and hardly flowers but we usually plant one wherever we live as Mr Brue was growing one when we met (and that was straggly too!) I think they are so hybridised they can become weak, but it's such an unusual colour and has a nice scent. Ours is in a neglected back of the border spot with some stronger roses in front, I like them all but OH dislikes being "got" by thorns! wink

Takethedogalong replied on 23/02/2020 21:09

Posted on 23/02/2020 21:09

Took me ages to get our BM to do well, but putting it up against that warm wall seems to have worked. I have got a Baron Girod L’Ain, it seems to be doing ok, only been in a year. Here’s another rather unusual one I fancy, called Fimbriata. Gorgeous pearly pink colour, but the petals have cut edges, very unusual. Anyone visiting Pickering area, I can highly recommend Rogers Nursery on the outskirts, coming in from Malton. They have a Rose Festival each year, and always have lots for sale. Worth a good look around anytime, a proper nursery with some unusual plants.

Fimbriata....

KjellNN replied on 23/02/2020 21:17

Posted on 23/02/2020 21:17

When we built the house here, in 1988, we bought many roses from Crockers in Aberdeen as MIL loved roses, and was from Aberdeen.

Sadly, over the years, many have stopped flowering, so now we only have a few left.  Could be that we have not looked after them properly after MIL passed away.

Roses are quite high maintenance, here anyway.

Freddy55 replied on 23/02/2020 21:18

Posted on 23/02/2020 21:18

I have a few TDA, but not as many as I’d like, just don’t have the space. I’m undecided about ‘stripey’ roses. Sometimes I think they’re spectacular, other times they seem a bit...garish? That one looks good though, nice deep colour, accentuated by the white edge. For sentimental reasons, my favourite is ‘Peace’, it was my dads favourite, and I can still remember it growing in his garden. Last year, we ‘rescued’ two climbing roses that were hidden behind a deep bed of shrubs and suchlike. They were very thin and spindly due to lack of light. I hacked them both down to around 18”, and gave them a feed. In no time at all they put on growth and are now looking very promising. When I built the pergola, I planted ‘Golden Showers’ against it. It took a while to get going, but flowers readily, it’s even got a few flowers now. Most of the roses we have were inherited from the previous owners, so not a clue what they are. It’s surprising that with just a little care, they are so rewarding. I guess the biggest problem we have is ‘Black Spot’ frown Later in the year, I’ll post some pics.

KjellNN replied on 23/02/2020 21:25

Posted on 23/02/2020 21:25

Very mixed weather here today, several hours of brilliant sunshine interspersed with snow and sleet, quite cold too.

Campsies were totally white this morning, but all snow gone when we returned home at 17.00.

Work on "the house" progressing slowly, as usual.  All skirtings etc in the utility room now fitted, now working on the unit plinths.

Next stage will be to complete the tiling.

We are supposed to be taking caravan to our dealer for servicing tomorrow, but forecast is bad, will see how it goes and maybe ring them to see how it is where they are.  Not keen to tow empty van there in strong winds.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook