What are you all up to

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:57

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:57

Got back from Fisher Field yesterday after a great weekend away.  Downside is van is filthy bit that will have to wait, more important jollities to enjoytongue-out House more or less decorated although not bothering with outside

Freddy55 replied on 23/02/2020 16:52

Posted on 23/02/2020 16:52

Bakers2, I wouldn’t worry too much about the roses. They will be dormant now, and as long as you get them planted before the growing season starts, they’ll be fine no matter what you plant them in as long as it’s moist. It wouldn’t hurt to crop them back by at least a third right now, and maybe another third once they start into growth, pruning to outward pointing buds.

Bakers2 replied on 23/02/2020 16:58

Posted on 23/02/2020 16:52 by Freddy55

Bakers2, I wouldn’t worry too much about the roses. They will be dormant now, and as long as you get them planted before the growing season starts, they’ll be fine no matter what you plant them in as long as it’s moist. It wouldn’t hurt to crop them back by at least a third right now, and maybe another third once they start into growth, pruning to outward pointing buds.

Posted on 23/02/2020 16:58

Freddy55 I hate to say this but they're already sprouting! New leaves open and spurs!

They'll definitely get a third off, cant keep handling the beggars 😯😢. Sadly I'd not taken my secateurs and those we left at mums weren't 'man's enough for the job. Probably why they'd not been pruned by mum, apart from her not bending too much.

Freddy55 replied on 23/02/2020 17:02

Posted on 23/02/2020 16:58 by Bakers2

Freddy55 I hate to say this but they're already sprouting! New leaves open and spurs!

They'll definitely get a third off, cant keep handling the beggars 😯😢. Sadly I'd not taken my secateurs and those we left at mums weren't 'man's enough for the job. Probably why they'd not been pruned by mum, apart from her not bending too much.

Posted on 23/02/2020 17:02

Roses are pretty resilient, just try to get them in the ground early spring👍

Takethedogalong replied on 23/02/2020 17:18

Posted on 23/02/2020 10:47 by Tinwheeler

I reckon you'd enjoy visiting the old Cornish tin mines, Corners, like Levant where you can go a little way down the underground tunnel, or East Pool where you can see the beam engine working on certain days.

We have an old mine across the road from us. It's unsafe but remains of the building are still there underneath the climbing greenery. The Count House still stands and forms part of our park but is divided into 3 parts now.

Posted on 23/02/2020 17:18

We have done Levant, and Geevor. Both excellent visits, full of history both old and not so old. Then of course there is Botallack, you can get into engine houses, but it’s quite a scramble and not recommended for the faint hearted😱 Queens Head pub in village was alright as well👍

Takethedogalong replied on 23/02/2020 17:31

Posted on 23/02/2020 15:07 by Bakers2

Your last paragraph caused me to Google! Didnt know that and I do read all the leaflets given out!

OH had an ICD, pacemaker with it's own defibrillator, fitted last year. We have induction hob, have had for 8 years plus and LOVE it, but no one said about them. He rarely cooks and I see no reason why his ICD would be closer than 60cms to it, but fairly important to know.

Not posted as this delightful site denied me entry! Intermittent fault 😂😂😂😂. Hard to even get to read the pages...............

Still plodding away at paperwork for mum, despite employing solicitor 😉🤐, she left a will and we thought it would be straightforward.......... Making similar slow progress on sorting the house. Sister in law had a new hip Friday and so it continues! Certain institutions leave a lot to be desired, whether they have a bereavement team or not. Can't imagine how you'd feel after a tragic passing - keep offering condolences doesn't make up for sloppy work systems........

Been digging up old rose's at mum's, HUGE tap roots, today in wind far stronger than forecast and heavy shower much earlier than forecast. Now got them home, next headache where to put them - won't be today! I'll pot them up. Any advice on compost would be good, I already have some horse compost i was going to use as mulch but I need to mix it with something - John Innes? Sadly our knowable nursery has closed! They're pretty tall too but I don't what to shock them too much by pruning hard as well. Oh well got 2 chances! They're the ones she planted for our daughter and granddaughter - for some reason only those 2 got them! Our granddaughter's is Lovely Ladies and since all her great grandchildren are girls we pluralised it, but I'm not sure her grandsons consider Ballerina appropriate 😂. Plus an unnamed one from Woolworths from before dad passed 18 years ago, probably long before that! Which always flowered on his birthday in Jund and hers in October. Really funny what you get sentimental over 😀 and I really don't like roses as plants or flowers 😂. 

Good to read folks news. Stay dry and safe.

Posted on 23/02/2020 17:31

Wow, old roses. They are incredibly hardy things Bakers. Try not to damage the roots, get them in ASAP, with a bit of compost, but beware of horse manure. It has to be extremely well rotted or the Urea content burns things. Once they are established and have settled in, don’t be afraid to give them a good prune. They should sprout new growth even from the woody bits. Just make sure you plant at the same level as they came out, otherwise you will get suckers growing. I transplanted my Grandad’s roses into my Mums garden many years ago. They were originally planted at Grandads when they moved into a newly built house......in 1949! So now 70 years old but they are thriving, in fact one of them has flowered all Winter. My roses aren’t dormant, in fact growing new growth madly. 🌹

I too have had a day in garden. Clearing up, removing some fencing between us and next door ready for big chipper to come in. All systems go hopefully tomorrow.

Wherenext replied on 23/02/2020 18:57

Posted on 23/02/2020 18:57

After a lazy early morning we set sail pushed along by a decent southerly to Fountains Abbey, near Ripon, where after an early lunch we went for a walk, initially in squalls, but pretty soon in sunshine accompanied by a brisk cold wind.

Very proud of our soon to be 87 y.o. MiL who managed to walk about 3 miles, firstly because its 3 miles, secondly because she forwent a cuppa at the cafe at the Studley Royal end and thirdly it was without the requisite toilet stop.  So she's been allowed a third glass of wine as a reward tonight.smile After all of that there's a distinct possibility that she may fall asleep at any moment.

We'll grant her another lazy morning tomorrow.

Freddy55 replied on 23/02/2020 19:06

Posted on 23/02/2020 16:24 by ADD46

I also dug this one up. Don’t know what it’s called and it only gives one flower a year 😐 but that one flower is a beautiful colour so it stays....

Posted on 23/02/2020 19:06

Beautiful flower, but only one? Any chance of a wider view?

JVB66 replied on 23/02/2020 19:09

Posted on 23/02/2020 19:09

We do not seem to have had the amounts of rain as in some areas,, but as we are very hilly here,   it is quite noticable in the hollows just how wet ,as when Rosa and I are out walking it is like walking on a sponge  ,and even though the winds have subsided, we found one of our pathways this afternoon was blocked by a fallen tree, that was still standing this morning surprised we have also noticed open views that a couple of weeks ago were not there also several more fences seem to have succumbed,  in the endfrown

Takethedogalong replied on 23/02/2020 20:02

Posted on 23/02/2020 20:02

I have got a couple of Rose encyclopaedia that I use to use when gardening as a volunteer at Brodsworth. Managed to identify quite a few, but would need photos of flower, bud, back and front of leaf and stems/thorns. Also size, flowering month, any signs of disease. There are just so many new roses nowadays that it can be difficult though.

ADD46 replied on 23/02/2020 20:04

Posted on 23/02/2020 20:04

Freddy55 sadly that’s the only picture I’ve got of it. It only stands about 60cm high and each year ( I’ve had it since 2014) it has only managed one flower. I looked online and think it might be “blue moon”. Very pretty though and I smile and think of Mum each time it manages that one flower! 

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook