What are you all up to

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:57

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:57

Got back from Fisher Field yesterday after a great weekend away.  Downside is van is filthy bit that will have to wait, more important jollities to enjoytongue-out House more or less decorated although not bothering with outside

Wherenext replied on 16/09/2021 19:09

Posted on 16/09/2021 19:09

As Brue said, a very enjoyable read Goldie.

Went to Abbotsbury as planned and walked up onto the ridge to the fort/castle. Such a beautiful day for being up high, well, slightly elevated in this case. We enjoyed the walking so much that we decided to walk back the same way rather than tackle Chesil Beach. Saw some Swallows setting off out to sea. Plenty feeding up and waiting to go.

The village is as lovely as we remember. We'd parked the car in the Sub Tropical gardens C.P. so walked back through the village to get up onto the ridge. Then returned to the Gardens in the afternoon for a walk around them. Not a great deal in bloom but interesting nonetheless.

I'll have a look in the church if we go tomorrow Bakers. Thanks for the heads up. Hope you are keeping your spirits up.

Have a fancy for a walk up "Sticky Bottom" tomorrow. (Durdle Door and Lulworth way)laughing

nelliethehooker replied on 16/09/2021 19:11

Posted on 16/09/2021 09:01 by RedKite

NTH think the flower is autumn crocus as I have some yellow ones here. Great photo Rocky we got up to thick fog now slowly lifting thankfully overnight storm did not come our way.

Posted on 16/09/2021 19:11

It is actually called Meadow Saffron but I think many do call it autumn crocus.

RedKite replied on 16/09/2021 19:50

Posted on 16/09/2021 19:50

Know where you fancy going for walk tomorrow WN have done it a few times in the past but I know it as Scratchy Bottom always made me laugh, enjoy your walk.

No walk here today as we had another thunderstorm this afternoon after having a very foggy morning, did manage a walk yesterday afternoon my usual down the road and into a local field to find still a lot of butterflies about even after the awful storm the other night, at least it was dry and quite warm where as today it did not get above 20C very autumnal.

Off to have a coffee with a friend in our local small town as we will not be able to meet next Friday as they are finally going away now she has sorted who has the animals 2 donkeys 1 dog and 1 cat, they are going down to the cathar counrty area for a week 1st Holiday in 2 years.

Tammygirl replied on 16/09/2021 20:48

Posted on 16/09/2021 20:48

Last nights thunderstorm hung around for over 3 hours. Thankfully the rain eased off and we had no more overnight. I've never seen a sky go so black as it did last night.

Got up this morning and drove down to the med, decided on autoroute so we could get here before the lunch time closure. The site we like the best isn't open this year, don't know why. So we are on our second favourite which is next door. Madame has put us on a Grand comfort pitch, only paying the normal Acsi price though smile could get 2 outfits on here its that big. 

It was a cloudy start to the day but not long after we arrived here the sun started to make an appearance and we had a decent afternoon. Went for a short bike ride to the coast and along part of the front. Lots of places closed up shops, cafes, holiday homes, quite sad to see it. Plenty of folk about and this site is full, quite a few MHs parking up by the river, seems to be mostly french on this site, though we have seen 3 other brit vans here.

Good to hear others are enjoying there time away.

Glad to hear your bike is fixed TDA, I always worry about things like that happening when we are out on ours.

WN, you sound like you are having a great trip.

Takethedogalong replied on 16/09/2021 21:49

Posted on 16/09/2021 09:40 by cyberyacht

TDA, not sure if you have a refillable but Catleys Gas Centre on the A361 on the way into Devizes is a mile or so away.

Posted on 16/09/2021 21:49

Thanks CY. We only use cylinders, but still keep an eye out for LPG stations as we have had LPG vehicles in the past. Really enjoyed Courts Farm, very basic, but the views and space alone make it very attractive. I bet you didn’t know that the farm is Crown Property, so a big thanks to HM Queen😁 Never seen such a busy canal, the refuelling barge went through the bridge gate yesterday, selling coal, gas etc... anc OH saw another barge business doing a roaring trade doing mobile bike repairs on a barge. So interesting...

We are on our final CL tonight, back at Pebbly Barn Farm just outside Moreton in Marsh. Lovely run up from Devizes, stopped off at Avebury for a good walk around, then did scenic drive right up to Swindon outskirts, managed to detour around, on up through Lechlade and Burford and out below Stow for final drive into Moreton. CL is full, but plenty of space. We have really enjoyed this tour, stayed on some old favourites and some great new finds.

nelliethehooker replied on 16/09/2021 21:57

Posted on 16/09/2021 21:57

Good to read that your trip is going well, TG, even if you've caught some rain.

Glad that you're bike is fixed, tda, and you'll be able to ride along to the locks. Just be careful on that towpath.wink

RK, I see that the Meadow Saffron is also called "Naked Ladies" because the flowers emerge from the ground long before the leaves. The whole of the plant is toxic so care needed if handling it.

Nice walk, WN, and a lot less hard on the legs than Chesil Beach.

We had a walk from Cheddar Head up to Middle Down nature reserve before a drive down the Gorge. Cheddar town was rather busy, but is rather naff in appearance. Drove onto Westhay Moor NNR for a second walk, but there was very little wildlife to see. Returned to the site via Glastonbury, which looked smarter than the last time we visited, about 20 yrs ago.

Takethedogalong replied on 16/09/2021 22:03

Posted on 16/09/2021 22:03

My bike isn’t behaving as it should, OH thinks it needs more links out of chain, it’s skipping gears. Have to have a word tomorrow. I didn’t do the canal path. It’s not a nice ride from where we were, very narrow and bumpy, so the potential for me undoing up in the water was high. It’s a footpath mainly, and very busy, so not an easy ride. Here at Moreton will be better.

replied on 17/09/2021 08:15

Posted on 17/09/2021 08:15

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

brue replied on 17/09/2021 09:34

Posted on 17/09/2021 09:34

Whereabouts are you David? TG too, I've lost track.

On the subject of autumn crocus also known as Colchicums....wink we've tried growing them but they seem to disappear as quickly as we plant them! Nice in the lawn under trees etc. Quite an expensive bulb to buy. But as you say Nellie something to take care of when handling.

Sounds like our type of CL by the canal TDA and a successful tour for you. Hope the last bit goes well.

Hope the WNs get to Scratchy Bottom! laughing

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook