What are you all up to

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:57

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:57

Got back from Fisher Field yesterday after a great weekend away.  Downside is van is filthy bit that will have to wait, more important jollities to enjoytongue-out House more or less decorated although not bothering with outside

Takethedogalong replied on 21/10/2021 21:22

Posted on 21/10/2021 21:22

Ha😁 Glad to say we have had a good day, and our “challenge” went well.

OH arrived on CL on Sunday, and MH ended up in a swamp. Subsequent nights of rain added to the moat surrounding us, but being us, we sort of didn’t panic. We couldn’t take her off site, but hadn’t planned to in truth, as we had the Jeep with us as I had ferried Mum and Sis up to their accommodation separately. But would the Jeep haul out a much heavier vehicle, and importantly, without doing too much damage to either vehicles, or the CL turf? 

In the end, it turned out to be rather easy, needing just a good tow rope, a bit of steady low range starting, some decent tyres and some know how, which OH has in spades. No wheel spin at all, and that was hauling her up and off wedges and up hill! 

It’s all rather interesting, as our very big Jeep matches to pull only a ton of caravan. The MH weighs 3.5 tons, but the Jeep hardly even knew she was on the back this morning, no wheel spin at all, in quite awful conditions. 

Anyway, it was an interesting morning, not least for Mum and Sis. I think the pooch just slept through it all. We are all back home now after good drives home, MH via Selby, and me via Helmsley and Wetherby. However, must try not to pick a swampy pitch next time out😂

KjellNN replied on 21/10/2021 21:24

Posted on 21/10/2021 21:24

Thank you for your thoughts ABM, but I fear there will be little rest for me between now and Christmas!

DD is intent on keeping the momentum going on the garage clearance, and I appreciate her help, so that is the priority meantime.   However, once the main work on the bathroom is done, I will be fitting the new countertop, the basin, replacing all the cupboards etc, finishing the tiling, and laying the floor, so the garage will then be on the back burner for a while

nelliethehooker replied on 21/10/2021 21:45

Posted on 21/10/2021 21:45

Glad the challenge went well, tda. I'm sure that the pair of you knew full well that the jeep, in the capable hands of your OH, would have been up to the job.

Hope that you are feeling better tomorrow, Debs. Pleased to read that others too are now getting their boosters.

We had very heavy rain overnight resulting in the River Axe overflowing it's banks and flooding the surrounding fields and the road past the site, which is not that unusual as the area is a flood plain. When we got up at 7:30 our route up onto main road was under a metre or so of flood water, having been backed up by the full tide. It took until after 12:00 before it had subsided sufficiently enough for us to consider leaving the site with the van. We had originally intended to use the A358 through Axminster and Chard up to the A30 and to follow it to Shaftsbury and onto our next site at Ansty. However because of advice from a friend we chose to use the longer but mostly easier A35 past Dorchester to the A354 and A350 to Shaftsbury. It turned out that we made the right choice as the A358 was flooded and impassable north of Axminster. We are now set up at Copse Side CL which overlooks, and is within walking distance of, the downs of Cranborne Chase. It is a clear sky tonight and the full moon is looking down on us just now, so could be a rather chilly night.

ABM replied on 22/10/2021 10:23

Posted on 22/10/2021 10:23

Got my Flu jab done at local Farmer C yesterday, no aches or pains I'm pleased to say !  Then rang Surgery to book Blood tests Etc and Diabetes  6-monthly checks .

Blimey -- I got a blood test appt at 11.50 TODAY !!  They will phone me with details of  checks after they have results from Dracula's so kind and gentle ministrations.

Grey & miserable looking day with intermittent showers  and definitely feeling cold which is not helped by needing to wear a short-sleeved shirt in order to help D D Dracula in a little while  !!

brue replied on 22/10/2021 10:47

Posted on 22/10/2021 10:47

Goodness, water, water everywhere for TDA and Nellie! Glad you all managed to get through. Hope you enjoy Cranborne Chase Nellie, some good walks around there. We've used the site at Sixpenny Handley a lot in the past, Cranborne itself is nice, especially if the Manor House gardens are open. 

We're having a meal out tonight, seeing family.

Good luck with "pin pricks" ABM. wink

Did anyone watch the new "Shetland" programme this week? I'm hooked!!

Takethedogalong replied on 22/10/2021 10:54

Posted on 21/10/2021 21:45 by nelliethehooker

Glad the challenge went well, tda. I'm sure that the pair of you knew full well that the jeep, in the capable hands of your OH, would have been up to the job.

Hope that you are feeling better tomorrow, Debs. Pleased to read that others too are now getting their boosters.

We had very heavy rain overnight resulting in the River Axe overflowing it's banks and flooding the surrounding fields and the road past the site, which is not that unusual as the area is a flood plain. When we got up at 7:30 our route up onto main road was under a metre or so of flood water, having been backed up by the full tide. It took until after 12:00 before it had subsided sufficiently enough for us to consider leaving the site with the van. We had originally intended to use the A358 through Axminster and Chard up to the A30 and to follow it to Shaftsbury and onto our next site at Ansty. However because of advice from a friend we chose to use the longer but mostly easier A35 past Dorchester to the A354 and A350 to Shaftsbury. It turned out that we made the right choice as the A358 was flooded and impassable north of Axminster. We are now set up at Copse Side CL which overlooks, and is within walking distance of, the downs of Cranborne Chase. It is a clear sky tonight and the full moon is looking down on us just now, so could be a rather chilly night.

Posted on 22/10/2021 10:54

It’s going to be a “watery Winter” I think😁 Glad you got out Nellie. It all adds to the fun of year round touring. MH is in for MOT Monday, so fingers crossed. Somewhat surprisingly, she isn’t lathered in mud underneath, so won’t be too onerous getting her sorted this weekend.

I think North Wales will be HS pitches only though, no Jeep with us on that planned trip. (C19 rates allowing of course).

Very Autumnal now here, temps have dropped quite substantially. We got the lovely clear moon last night as well. We still got the hooting owl, but no steam trains whistling last night😁

Covid boosters to sort next.👍

moulesy replied on 22/10/2021 11:01

Posted on 22/10/2021 11:01

We missed Shetland, it clashed with Hollington Place on ITV which Mrs M was following, though I gave up on it after a couple of episodes where I couldn't follow the mumbling! frown

But we will watch it on iPlayer, all the stories have been good, as might be expected, based on Ann Cleeves books. Oddly enough, though, we never really got into watching her Vera series. Maybe we've missed out on something equally good.

It's going to get a bit confusing though with ITV about to start "The Long Call", the first in her new Two Rivers series.

Takethedogalong replied on 22/10/2021 11:33

Posted on 22/10/2021 11:33

OH likes Shetland. I always enjoy Vera, but then I love spotting the fabulous locations more than anything else. They are all on UKTV app if like me you don’t watch live TV.

Francis replied on 22/10/2021 11:37

Posted on 22/10/2021 11:37

We tour all year round but only use hardstanding pitches so don't tend to have much bother. Our Volvo V70 is front wheel drive so doesn't like wet muddy fields a couple of years ago we were on a CL in Lancashire and had a hardstanding pitch but sily me strayed on to the grass in front of the pitch when reversing the van in and unfortunately dug two big trenches on the nice grass with my front wheels lol fortunately the CL owner was fine about it as they were adding two new hardstanding pitches in that area anyway so were just about to dig it up hehe. About 10 years ago we were towing with a Ford Mondeo which was a great tow car but again front wheel drive and we got stuck on a grass pitch near Edinburgh and had to get both the van and car towed out by a tractor so we only ever use hardstanding in the winter now.

Lovely sunny day here today but very cold. We have a family birthday party to attend tonight so looking forward to that and catching up with the family. WN and Nellie will be shocked as I still haven't had a chance to clean the car or van since our return from Chester last week so that's a job on the list for tomorrow.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook