What are you all up to

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:57

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:57

Got back from Fisher Field yesterday after a great weekend away.  Downside is van is filthy bit that will have to wait, more important jollities to enjoytongue-out House more or less decorated although not bothering with outside

brue replied on 09/12/2021 15:19

Posted on 09/12/2021 15:19

That sounds awful TG. Small ships are better (my own personal view) but everything is a risk at the moment. If the passengers are all ok, the crew might not be or vice versa. Neighbours recently had a cruise cancelled on the day were due to leave.

replied on 09/12/2021 15:32

Posted on 09/12/2021 15:32

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

DavidKlyne replied on 09/12/2021 16:21

Posted on 09/12/2021 16:21

Of the two cruses we have had the first one was the P&O Oceana, 2000 passengers and the second was on the Britannia 3600 passengers. I have to say everything ran like clockwork and I didn't feel either was crowded. No problems with the onboard restaurants either. One thing we did decide on the second cruise was to eat at the first sitting as we prefer to eat earlier and there is the risk of delays with the second sitting. Ship size doesn't particularly bother me. We have recorded the programme on the sinking of the Costa Concordia. Once I have watched that I could be put off cruises for lifesurprised

David

Wherenext replied on 09/12/2021 16:33

Posted on 09/12/2021 16:33

Mrs WN and MiL did the fjords cruise on Fred Olsen a few years back. Getting to Norway was the problem as far as MiL was concerned but once around the Norwegian coastline things were fine. They went on a smaller ship which enabled them to get further up the fjords and often dock at the quayside. Excursions were sometimes extras such as a helicopter trip but most times they were able to do their own thing. Their other cruise was a river one on the Duoro like Moulesy which they also enjoyed, especially looking around Salamanca. They did base themselves in a hotel in Avignon on another holiday and took day cruises down to places like Arles which, once again they really enjoyed. All taken on "small" cruise ships.

MiL a bit wary for next year but only due to Covid situation.

Not enough hills on a cruise ship for me.laughing

Wherenext replied on 09/12/2021 16:37

Posted on 09/12/2021 16:37

What a busy day it has been. Went to pick up my e-bike this morning. Quite a bit of a delay for whatever reason. Not that impressed with service but at least computer consuls thrown in as compensation. Got back just in time for lunch.

Straight back out after lunch to town. Library, bank, deli ( for Christmas cheese order) and Tesco. Back home for coffee and delivery of cards in the close with rest of village to be done tomorrow.

cyberyacht replied on 09/12/2021 17:11

Posted on 09/12/2021 17:11

Like DK, we are disinclined to do Fly-cruises. Living 'just down the road' from Southampton has spoilt us. An Eastern Med taking in Istanbul appeals to us as well. We were due to do one with Cunard also taking in the Black Sea but it was re-routed thanks to Mr Putin so I shan't be patronising his home town again, so there!

I don't favour these mega ships either and the majority of our trips have been with Cunard where spacing and service are exemplary. I share TG's caution about any restrictions on runs ashore and am waiting for things to settle down properly. Like Captain Oates, I may be some time. frown

Tammygirl replied on 09/12/2021 20:12

Posted on 09/12/2021 15:19 by brue

That sounds awful TG. Small ships are better (my own personal view) but everything is a risk at the moment. If the passengers are all ok, the crew might not be or vice versa. Neighbours recently had a cruise cancelled on the day were due to leave.

Posted on 09/12/2021 20:12

It certainly wasn't great. 

We only went on it as we could add a few nights in Rome before the cruise and the first port of call was Cinque Terre.

As it ended up Rome was a delight and we will return. We lost the first port of call due to a suspected Covid case on board, so never got to see Cinque Terre. cry

We would have gone on a cruise in July for OHs 70th and again in January for our 50th anniversary but as I posted, still not sure it's going to be as we would want.

It's been nice to get out here to our timeshare but we are keeping our distance from the masses. Lots of walking and drives then walking.

We have a big sun terrace so don't even need to go to the pool (it's freezing anyway) we've ate out a few times but go early to miss the crowds, rest of the time we eat in the apartment. Don't need to go down for the entertainment either as it's loud enough to hear it from our terrace 😁

Agree on the Cunard ships CY

nelliethehooker replied on 09/12/2021 21:41

Posted on 09/12/2021 21:41

WN Hope that your new bikes are all that you expected and they give you better service that of their supplier.wink You just need some decent weather so that you can give them a thorough try out.

We too had some decent weather today and managed to get a few of our Xmas cards deliver while out on our morning walk. Another dry walk this afternoon but more rain this evening. Hope it stays dry tomorrow assemble to hear into town and then along to the the local caravan dealer for a replacement roof flynet.

ABM replied on 09/12/2021 21:45

Posted on 09/12/2021 21:45

??  undecided  ??  What the 'ecky thump do you do with the flies when you have caught them, please  ??

Rufs replied on 10/12/2021 09:19

Posted on 10/12/2021 09:19

Beautiful day, me thinks a lunch time BBQ brunch is in the making down the beach house, lovely this time of year as very few people about, sea now too cold for swimming but has now calmed down after a couple of very stormy days.

HMS Queen Liz arrived back in port yesterday, good to see the full might of our Royal Navy tied up in Portsmouth dockyard for their Christmas break, all 6 of them, no doubt the illegals are aware of this and will come across in their droves agen, well great chance for them Boris has bigger fish to fry yell 

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook