What have you seen

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:48

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:48

I can't see the original sticky so will start a new thread.  Saw nearly 30,000 knot on Breydon Water yesterday.  Great weekend at Minsmere, Otter, Kingfishers, Bitterns, lots of Marsh Harriers

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 06/04/2022 07:53

Posted on 05/04/2022 23:14 by brue

The photo angle doesn't show the pointed shape very well and it won't be a land based fossil, this was a sea bed area. I've collected dinosaur coprolite fossils from the IOW and they are large..like elephant dung! 

We think it is a "shark" or similar marine tooth, we've now compared it on web sites. 

Interesting to find these things, thanks for your input. I wonder what will turn up next as we dig out a new path!?

Posted on 06/04/2022 07:53

That’s excellent👍🏻, what type/family of ancient sharks was it from Brue?. I’ve never encountered that shape before I’d be interested to update my knowledge base with your help👏🏻👏🏻

brue replied on 06/04/2022 09:54

Posted on 06/04/2022 09:54

No idea Rocky they are common finds round here. Here's another photo with it on view. The odd one out is a Flint tool from the stone age. 

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 06/04/2022 10:01

Posted on 05/04/2022 23:14 by brue

The photo angle doesn't show the pointed shape very well and it won't be a land based fossil, this was a sea bed area. I've collected dinosaur coprolite fossils from the IOW and they are large..like elephant dung! 

We think it is a "shark" or similar marine tooth, we've now compared it on web sites. 

Interesting to find these things, thanks for your input. I wonder what will turn up next as we dig out a new path!?

Posted on 06/04/2022 10:01

Brue, I missed this bit. . .Coprolite won’t be the size of Elephant/Mammoth unless it came from those Animals. From Humans or Wolves even Bears it’ll be species size specific👍🏻

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 06/04/2022 10:05

Posted on 06/04/2022 09:54 by brue

No idea Rocky they are common finds round here. Here's another photo with it on view. The odd one out is a Flint tool from the stone age. 

Posted on 06/04/2022 10:05

Ahhh I understand now-you don’t actually know if you are right or wrong you are just surmising as I am. Thanks for the input I’ll do my own research now I know their is no actual evidence.

brue replied on 06/04/2022 10:52

Posted on 06/04/2022 10:52

No, I looked up and identified what has been found Rocky although I can't identify the actual type of marine animal. Sharks tooth fossils are very common in the UK. I put photos of the IOW fossils in the story section a few years back, they were quite large obviously not from elephants (that was me being funny) but from dinosaurs. 

Yes it is a good idea to do your own research if you've found something of interest. 

Takethedogalong replied on 06/04/2022 11:13

Posted on 06/04/2022 11:13

Loving all these finds👍 Best we get in our garden are clay pipes. So interesting though. We used to belong to the Time Team Club. 

I forgot to mention we saw two very large 30+ herds of Deer in fields when we were out not far from Fotheringhay on our Ferry Meadows trip. Haven’t seen that many in one go for a long time.

nelliethehooker replied on 06/04/2022 21:18

Posted on 06/04/2022 21:18

This morning, as we were having breakfast, there were a pair of Siskins on the feeder outside the caravan window, and they were joined by a Greenfinch. The first ones we've seen this year.

nelliethehooker replied on 07/04/2022 21:56

Posted on 07/04/2022 21:56

As I've posted in another thread we went to Threave Castle today and saw the pair of Ospreys there, also one of the Peregrines on the top of the Castle, and could hear them calling too. From the Stepping Stones hide we spotted 3 pairs of Goosanders, a couple of Black Backed Gulls, an Egret and a hundred or more Pink Footed Geese. On our site there is a Charm of Goldinches who enjoy feeding on one of the other empty pitches.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook