What have you seen

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:48

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:48

I can't see the original sticky so will start a new thread.  Saw nearly 30,000 knot on Breydon Water yesterday.  Great weekend at Minsmere, Otter, Kingfishers, Bitterns, lots of Marsh Harriers

N1805 replied on 20/07/2022 08:10

Posted on 20/07/2022 08:10

Thanks for letting me know what my ‘caterpillar’  photo was.  It wasn’t as colourful as one I saw at the end of last year

RedKite replied on 20/07/2022 18:54

Posted on 20/07/2022 18:54

We had a Turtle Dove on the wires over our field today and was calling away lovely to see and hear as not many birds singing now especially with the hot weather.

neveramsure replied on 21/07/2022 10:15

Posted on 21/07/2022 10:15

This morning on my walk along the Leeds Liverpool canal I could see shoals of bream and roach also as I crossed over a footbridge I could clearly see a large Pike keeping quite still, no doubt waiting for its breakfast to swim past.smile

Unfortunately the reason I could do this is because the canal water level is very low and there is no boat movement to stir up the silt. Very low levels of the top up reservoirs in Yorkshire and Lancashire have meant that locks have had to be chained up in an effort to retain the water.

The last time water levels were this low was in 1995 when water tankers had to be used to top up the reservoirs. I fear a hosepipe ban is imminent unless we get some heavy rain soon.frown  

brue replied on 01/08/2022 11:34

Posted on 01/08/2022 11:34

Pleased to see a Jersey Tiger moth in our garden once more, on a door this time, they seem to spend a lot of time soaking up the sun on hard surfaces. Have never seen one on a plant or tree. smile 

Oneputt replied on 04/08/2022 17:47

Posted on 04/08/2022 17:47

Just heard that one of the pairs of stone curlews at NWT Weeting Heath is raising a second brood

RedKite replied on 04/08/2022 19:33

Posted on 04/08/2022 19:33

That is good news Oneputt, the last time I saw them was many years ago not far from Salisbury Plain.

We seemed to have had a good summer for Hummingbird Hawk Moths had 8 flying around the flowers left on the Salvias as not much out now with this heat and lovely to watch.

cyberyacht replied on 04/08/2022 22:52

Posted on 04/08/2022 22:52

After a slightly disappointing visit to Wicken Fen on the way to our CL tonight, I spotted a partridge about fifteen metres away from the motorhome plus a half dozen red deer grazing a few hundred metres away. Five adults and a fawn charging around and annoying the grown-ups.

RedKite replied on 06/08/2022 12:25

Posted on 06/08/2022 12:25

Doing a bit of watering and went to fill the watering can from the water butt only to have a young tree frog jump out of the can do not know who was more surprised any way in a different place in the shade.  Have noticed that the last couple of days that a lot of Swallows and House martins are gathering ready to go south very early indeed and the nightingales and Golden Orioles have gone already and thunk this weather will have a dramatic change to our wildlife here although so far even with hot weather it has been a good year for butterflies which I enjoy but quieting down now.

Saw a dead Roe deer on side of road the other day when we went shopping afraid it is a hazard around here.

nelliethehooker replied on 06/08/2022 20:55

Posted on 06/08/2022 20:55

While sat having our lunch around noon by The Grove car park in Hamsterley Forest there were a couple of bats flying around the glade. I can't ever remember seeing bats flying and hunting in the middle of the day before. Also heard a Goshawk calling as we walked back along by the river.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook