#3500 lives – what are your tips for safe driving?

RochelleCC replied on 10/03/2017 10:34

Posted on 10/03/2017 10:34

Today the FIA launched their #3500lives road safety campaign. The campaign is designed to raise awareness of the risk factors faced by drivers through a series of powerful posters which tackle key issues such as texting whilst driving, using a child safety seat correctly, checking tyres and stopping when tired.

We think that this is an extremely worthwhile cause, and I’d love to hear your thoughts on the campaign.

What are your top tips for safe driving?

You can find out more about the campaign at www.fia.com

replied on 24/07/2017 17:19

Posted on 04/07/2017 14:43 by ixam elbon

Leaving a good distance between yourself and the vehicle in front will cover nearly everything else others have mentioned. This is a defensive driving style that will give you time to think, react, and may save yours and others lives. KEEP YOUR DISTANCE and take your time. You will feel better for it. On the plus side you will get more miles per gallon with less wear and tear of you vehicle. Happy Caravanning.

Posted on 24/07/2017 17:19

Always like a good distance in front. 

Stafordian replied on 31/07/2017 09:38

Posted on 10/03/2017 12:27 by Mitsi Fendt

Attitude. Drivers make choices about how they drive and whether to drive at times when they should be driving.

Posted on 31/07/2017 09:38

Attitude is a major factor in driving. If an applicant, when applying for a driving license had his lifesyle and past record taken into consideration before being allowed to drive the accident rate may plummet. Those with bad behavioral tendencies in other areas tend to bring them into the driving domain.  I believe it is not possible to get a visa to enter the USA with a criminal record. Just imagine being in the knowledge that a driving licence can not be issued to those with a criminal record. 

crusader replied on 07/08/2017 18:11

Posted on 07/08/2017 18:11

Always look ahead, not just at the car in front but the two in front of it. Give yourself plenty of time to change direction and remember Signal, Mirror, Maneuver. Always use extended mirrors, if your trailer is wider than your car. It's the law that you can see behind you.Your car mirrors no matter how big they are, do not give you the correct angle. Plan your journey and allow stops it is recommended that you stop after 2 hours, get out walk around and have a natural break and a drink. Most of all enjoy your journey, it's better to arriave late than not at all.

crusader replied on 07/08/2017 18:16

Posted on 10/04/2017 19:41 by alanannej

Take an Advanced driving course - teaches you far more than the limited amount taught just to get you through the test!  Reading the road for a start, not just what is immediately in front of you. AND a towing and manouevering course - not just a plug for the Club's version - others are available - check out HGV training places! Having said that, I didn't do the latter, but was brought up on a farm and was reversing 4 wheel trailers aged 14!

Posted on 07/08/2017 18:16

agree I still have my class one licence and much like the advance training hgv test are not easy to pass but teach you a lot

Chris Bennett 08 replied on 31/08/2017 12:45

Posted on 31/08/2017 12:45

Make sure you know what's going on all around you all of the time.

Observation is most important thing as everything you do or react to is as a result of the information passing through your eyeballs.

How far could you drive with an Asda carrier bag over your head before you collided with something

NevChap replied on 05/09/2017 10:09

Posted on 05/09/2017 10:09

Lots of good points raised. Driving with a caravan on the back SHOULD help you become a better driver. What I mean is that when you have your caravan hitched up you ought to drive much more carefully (although not everyone does) and that has a carry over to when you are driving solo(or it does for me anyway). The point about driving without using your brakes is an excellent idea. When towing it is best to keep the vehicle moving rather than stop-start. Look well ahead and approach manoeuvres so that you can maintain momentum, so for instance at roundabouts try to judge your approach so that you can drive onto the roundabout without having to stop and then start again. Not always possible I know but surprising how often it is.

alanannej replied on 29/09/2017 22:13

Posted on 10/03/2017 12:50 by JillwithaJay

Many years ago, Lancashire Constabulary Motor Driving School told me to drive as though every other driver on the road is an idiot and, therefore, you have to think not only for yourself but for them as well. 

Posted on 29/09/2017 22:13

Must have been a standard comment - my Lincs Police driving instructor told me exactly the same (1959) he also said "never insist on  having your right of way - one day you'll be dead right"!

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook