Corona Virus Concerns

thebells replied on 06/04/2020 09:04

Posted on 06/04/2020 09:04

As the other (Stay or go) thread appears to be locked, I've started this one. There is no specific subject matter so hopefully everyone can continue to update others as to what's happening in their lives and areas. I live in the suburbs (but hope to move to rural Northumberland in next few years) and found it really illuminating to hear how those living in rural areas are being affected by issues such as tourists and lack of access to shops etc

Unlocked at 21.06

Wherenext replied on 08/06/2020 13:20

Posted on 08/06/2020 13:20

I've hardly read any of todays offerings on here as I was pretty disgusted with a lot of the postings yesterday and sincerely hoped that this thread would now concentrate on Virus Concerns and how it might affect the Touring community. It would appear not from the few I can see above.

I've just finished listening to Mark Drakeford, The First Minister in Wales, and basically you can almost forget touring in Wales this season. He quite rightly pointed out that any place open to tourists that share facilities would be the very last to be opened, secondly only those with self isolating facilities including bathroom, toilet and kitchen might, just might, be possibilities but here he was commenting on self contained cottages and the like rather than campsites and even then he did say that if you were to end up at such a place you would be governed by whatever distance measures that would be in force at that time, at the moment it's just 5 miles. So no fun to be had. These aren't new rules they were just answers to a question about tourism in Wales so not set in stone.

I did enjoy his reply to a question saying that a the Welsh Govt. liked to "prepare then announce the measures rather than announce measures and then try to work out the consequences".

Anyway, I wouldn't book any sites in Wales anytime soon, even if you could.

Tinwheeler replied on 08/06/2020 13:35

Posted on 08/06/2020 13:19 by Oneputt

I wonder if this thread will be a precedent for the future where mods and the CT manager can turn a β€˜blind eye’ to infringements of the t&c’s

Posted on 08/06/2020 13:35

Why should it be when they haven't? Were you not around yesterday?

huskydog replied on 08/06/2020 13:38

Posted on 08/06/2020 09:24 by Rocky 2 buckets

It took a long time for you to introduce us to your local shop ownerπŸ€”

Posted on 08/06/2020 13:38

That’s because the thread was closed before I could post it , he would be delighted to meet you cool

Rufs replied on 08/06/2020 13:52

Posted on 08/06/2020 12:49 by Tinwheeler

That's in poor taste in view of some comments made yesterday. πŸ˜–

Posted on 08/06/2020 13:52

so was the defacing of the Winston Churchill memorial especially as it was the 6th June the official date for the D Day landings, as was the defacing of the Abraham Lincoln memorial, a guy who was assasinated for trying to quell the slave trade, and the risk of spreading corvid-19 within our gallent police officers trying to maintain law and order, but i guess we will just have to get over it and move on 

Tinwheeler replied on 08/06/2020 14:02

Posted on 08/06/2020 13:52 by Rufs

so was the defacing of the Winston Churchill memorial especially as it was the 6th June the official date for the D Day landings, as was the defacing of the Abraham Lincoln memorial, a guy who was assasinated for trying to quell the slave trade, and the risk of spreading corvid-19 within our gallent police officers trying to maintain law and order, but i guess we will just have to get over it and move on 

Posted on 08/06/2020 14:02

But nobody has tried to pretend those incidents should be joked about, Rufs.

Bakers2 replied on 08/06/2020 14:08

Posted on 08/06/2020 14:08

Yes NZ is COVID19 free for the time being and life will be as it used to be πŸ˜€. Extra relief for me as my daughter and her family live there. But Ahern has said that it will probably return and they must continue to be vigilant. No new cases for 14 days.

Their prime minister jumped very quickly to isolate their country. They locked down about the same time as us and quarantined anyone from outside at the same time. They were taken from the airport, not sure about port entries so won't comment, by an airport bus to an airport hotel and quarantined. Our quarantine is rather different you can travel on public transport, although there is a request to use private transport, to the address you give. So I can see flaws - not least how many get infected from your internal travel? Who's going to check if you're where you said you are and how often? Ours seems very halfhearted and to a certain extent I can see where the questioning is coming from. NZ still have quarantine for their returning nationals, only those folk allowed in at present, but they have been and continue to talk to Oz about an air-bridge.

Many workers in NZ had to take annual leave as well as having some government assistance. Not too up on furlough here, or there, to be honest, but daughter and grandchildren have been back at school for 3 weeks, this is week 4 and her hubby went back to work 2 weeks before that so the financial hit was for a considerably shorter period than here.

NZ is not the only country to impose quarantine, Singapore did/do, a friends granddaughter went back before our lockdown to be with her parents. Before leaving the plane/airport she had to confirm her address and phone number for her quarantine. Almost before she arrived at the family home she had a phone call to ask where she was and a police visit later the same day. These were continued at random times throughout her quarantine, sometimes more than once a day.

To enforce a tight quarantine you need hotel rooms to accommodate the arrivals, transport to get them there without contaminating the general population, food for them to eat AND the resources to enforce 🀐

I was all for quarantine at the beginning, I'm not sure it's anything other than a 'feel good' easy way for the government to appear to be doing something now. After all why would folk want to come here from a country with better R rates?? Lots of European countries who are opening up are not keen in inviting/allowing us in πŸ€” I wonder why?

I think our industries/businesses, of all types, are going to be hit very very hard. We will be paying for this for years and years 😱

heddlo replied on 08/06/2020 14:50

Posted on 08/06/2020 14:08 by Bakers2

Yes NZ is COVID19 free for the time being and life will be as it used to be πŸ˜€. Extra relief for me as my daughter and her family live there. But Ahern has said that it will probably return and they must continue to be vigilant. No new cases for 14 days.

Their prime minister jumped very quickly to isolate their country. They locked down about the same time as us and quarantined anyone from outside at the same time. They were taken from the airport, not sure about port entries so won't comment, by an airport bus to an airport hotel and quarantined. Our quarantine is rather different you can travel on public transport, although there is a request to use private transport, to the address you give. So I can see flaws - not least how many get infected from your internal travel? Who's going to check if you're where you said you are and how often? Ours seems very halfhearted and to a certain extent I can see where the questioning is coming from. NZ still have quarantine for their returning nationals, only those folk allowed in at present, but they have been and continue to talk to Oz about an air-bridge.

Many workers in NZ had to take annual leave as well as having some government assistance. Not too up on furlough here, or there, to be honest, but daughter and grandchildren have been back at school for 3 weeks, this is week 4 and her hubby went back to work 2 weeks before that so the financial hit was for a considerably shorter period than here.

NZ is not the only country to impose quarantine, Singapore did/do, a friends granddaughter went back before our lockdown to be with her parents. Before leaving the plane/airport she had to confirm her address and phone number for her quarantine. Almost before she arrived at the family home she had a phone call to ask where she was and a police visit later the same day. These were continued at random times throughout her quarantine, sometimes more than once a day.

To enforce a tight quarantine you need hotel rooms to accommodate the arrivals, transport to get them there without contaminating the general population, food for them to eat AND the resources to enforce 🀐

I was all for quarantine at the beginning, I'm not sure it's anything other than a 'feel good' easy way for the government to appear to be doing something now. After all why would folk want to come here from a country with better R rates?? Lots of European countries who are opening up are not keen in inviting/allowing us in πŸ€” I wonder why?

I think our industries/businesses, of all types, are going to be hit very very hard. We will be paying for this for years and years 😱

Posted on 08/06/2020 14:50

Pleased to hear NZ is COVID free, it must be a relief to you not having to worry too much about your family.  Ours are in Hong Kong and Macau.  Macau is free of the virus, due to strict early lockdown and quarantine for outsiders.  Macau had designated hotels for people to quarantine in for 14 days, so they were easy to check and keep track of.  Our system is just ludicrous, as you say it’s purely a government ploy to say ‘let’s show we are doing something’ exercise,  in reality it means nothing.  Hong Kong is getting more relaxed but it has extended its quarantine period now to September as they had 5 new cases recently.  

Wherenext replied on 08/06/2020 15:14

Posted on 08/06/2020 15:14

Hong Kong is getting more relaxed but it has extended its quarantine period now to September as they had 5 new cases recently.

Gee, that's a bit tough. I thought 14 days was hard going but to have to isolate until September. Wow.wink

brue replied on 08/06/2020 15:33

Posted on 08/06/2020 15:33

Hong Kong has a population of C. 7 million, NZ C. 4 .8 million, UK C 66 million all these countries have variations in population density. London alone has a C 8 million, twice that of NZ. It's impossible to compare countries, age and health demographics play a big part too.

It's not our fault we're dealing with such a deadly disease. Let's hope testing becomes more reliable and more widely available so that we can find out what is really happening, until then the risk is going to be out there for a long time. Stay safe.

heddlo replied on 08/06/2020 15:41

Posted on 08/06/2020 15:14 by Wherenext

Hong Kong is getting more relaxed but it has extended its quarantine period now to September as they had 5 new cases recently.

Gee, that's a bit tough. I thought 14 days was hard going but to have to isolate until September. Wow.wink

Posted on 08/06/2020 15:41

πŸ˜‚.  The quarantine is for 14 days for all entries (as far as I know), and this is to stay in place until September, just to be clear! 

This topic has been locked, no new replies can be added.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook