2022 great savings guide

SteveL replied on 03/02/2022 14:15

Posted on 03/02/2022 11:55 by Burgundy

Not everyone has a computer, or even smart phone for various reasons. 

Posted on 03/02/2022 14:15

If I decide to take part in an activity that requires equipment I purchase or perhaps rent said equipment. Most folk wouldn’t think of caravanning without items that 20 / 30 years ago wouldn’t have even registered as being essential. Perhaps some sort of internet capable device is starting to fall into this category.

JVB66 replied on 03/02/2022 14:18

Posted on 03/02/2022 14:14 by EmilysDad

My Dad is 84 ... he uses the web at home and on his mobile which he's had for the best part of 30 years. So age isn't a barrier to living in the modern world. IMHO it's very short sighted to ignore the web completely ..... it's not going to go away.

Posted on 03/02/2022 14:18

Many elderly folk have eyesight  problemscool

EmilysDad replied on 03/02/2022 14:25

Posted on 03/02/2022 14:04 by SteveL

I couldn’t understand how a mobile was necessarily going to be much use. When we had a power cut a bit back it was large enough to knock out the cell towers as well. Land line still worked though.😀 However, I suppose in most cases there will be a cell tower in range. We didn’t get a phone until I was in my teens, although  there were phone boxes back then. The change is designed to improve things overall and keep costs down. I guess it’s  something we will have to get used to.

Posted on 03/02/2022 14:25

I couldn’t understand how a mobile was necessarily going to be much use

A neighbour used to work for Hutchinson, a telecommunication company, he used to say their aim was for everyone to be able to have a mobile phone. We thought, why would we all need or want a mobile phone? How wrong we were. Rabbit

although  there were phone boxes back then.

Push button A or push button B? 😉

We had a house phone since I was about 7 (1969) but that was only because the house my Mum & Dad bought came with one & they kept it ... it was originally on a party line! Neighbours used to knock with a 10p in their hand to ask if they could use our phone. 

EmilysDad replied on 03/02/2022 14:27

Posted on 03/02/2022 14:18 by JVB66

Posted on 03/02/2022 14:27

The answer to which is .... OK Google! What's/Ring ...... 🙄😉

SteveL replied on 03/02/2022 15:06

Posted on 03/02/2022 14:18 by JVB66

Posted on 03/02/2022 15:06

Personally I find using my pad for my newspaper much easier than hard copy, as I can have the text what size I want. Same with the web site over the site book, which has fairly small text.😬

Pathfinder replied on 03/02/2022 15:30

Posted on 03/02/2022 15:30

How many members take a printer on holiday to print off great savings guide vouchers ????

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 03/02/2022 15:35

Posted on 03/02/2022 09:47 by SteveL

I personally think too much is made of lack of internet connection. There can’t be many places in the UK where internet access either mobile or hot spot can’t be achieved with a minimal journey. I noted on the latest update of O2’s coverage checker that it is now even available at Altnaharra. In the case of this latest addition of the great savings guide, it makes every sort of sense not to publish a hard copy when it is still being compiled. Hopefully in the near future  they will also offer a fully digital membership like the C&CC, who have just taken £14 less on the direct debit than this club.

Posted on 03/02/2022 15:35

WiFi is only getting better, 6G is in the planning. The main issue with signal strength is an older mobile🤷🏻‍♂️

DavidKlyne replied on 03/02/2022 15:38

Posted on 03/02/2022 15:30 by Pathfinder

How many members take a printer on holiday to print off great savings guide vouchers ????

Posted on 03/02/2022 15:38

Quite so, if you need printed vouchers to take advantage of any of the offers you have to pre plan by printing them at home before you leave. I did once buy a cheap printer to take away on our then long trips to Europe but quite honestly it wasn't really worth it, its probably still cluttering up some cupboard in the house somewhere!!! There are now some nice printers that are quite compact but they tend to be very expensive compared to home printers. Many venues only need the offer code so easy enough to note down before you leave or show it on a Smart Phone.

David

SteveL replied on 03/02/2022 15:40

Posted on 03/02/2022 15:30 by Pathfinder

Posted on 03/02/2022 15:40

It seems that the vouchers aren’t specific to the venue. I think that this has also been the case in previous years. You could print off an appropriate number before you leave.

SeasideBill replied on 03/02/2022 15:46

Posted on 03/02/2022 14:14 by EmilysDad

My Dad is 84 ... he uses the web at home and on his mobile which he's had for the best part of 30 years. So age isn't a barrier to living in the modern world. IMHO it's very short sighted to ignore the web completely ..... it's not going to go away.

Posted on 03/02/2022 15:46

My Dad (sadly no longer here) was positive and enthusiastic about the web. He first attended IT adult education lessons aged 86 and never looked back. In particular he loved to upload and exchange photos with my sister in Australia. He also sent email letters of complaint to the Council, Prime Minister & Alex Ferguson on a regular basis!  However, he did have a deep irrational mistrust of those he imagined to be sat in the background somewhere watching what he was doing. He got very annoyed whenever he received some kind of error message - he was convinced it was personal to him. ED is right, age shouldn’t be a barrier but I can understand some older folks getting very confused and anxious about it.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook