2022 great savings guide

SteveL replied on 11/03/2022 22:27

Posted on 11/03/2022 22:04 by Lyke Wake Man

NOT everyone is on monthly contract with internet  included, anyone like me who is retired and at home most of the day may have pay as you go =NO internet from your mobile

Posted on 11/03/2022 22:27

That’s a personal choice and depends on what value you put on being able to get online, more or less anywhere. I am also retired and at home a large part of the year.. Initially we had one contract, one pay as you go, both had internet provision. Pay as you go does not mean no internet. Now we have two contract phones on different networks, as we find it better value. Alternatively you could purchase a MiFi at a fairly low cost and just get a pay as you go data SIM.

replied on 12/03/2022 07:47

Posted on 11/03/2022 22:27 by SteveL

That’s a personal choice and depends on what value you put on being able to get online, more or less anywhere. I am also retired and at home a large part of the year.. Initially we had one contract, one pay as you go, both had internet provision. Pay as you go does not mean no internet. Now we have two contract phones on different networks, as we find it better value. Alternatively you could purchase a MiFi at a fairly low cost and just get a pay as you go data SIM.

Posted on 12/03/2022 07:47

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

SteveL replied on 12/03/2022 09:09

Posted on 12/03/2022 07:47 by

I use a MiFi PAYG almost entirely in Europe.  It's worked well until now when I discovered that the 24gb "Internet with legs" data sim from 3 is no longer 24gb but only 12gb when roaming. I am on the look out now for a replacement. 

Posted on 12/03/2022 09:09

That’s sneaky. Do you know if it takes double data when used over there, or is the other 12gb still available to use in the UK. For us that would be acceptable as we also do a tour here. We have an old MiFi  for which I buy a SIM when going to Europe to give us a few more gb.

InaD replied on 12/03/2022 09:29

Posted on 12/03/2022 07:47 by

I use a MiFi PAYG almost entirely in Europe.  It's worked well until now when I discovered that the 24gb "Internet with legs" data sim from 3 is no longer 24gb but only 12gb when roaming. I am on the look out now for a replacement. 

Posted on 12/03/2022 09:29

We also have that, AD and as you say, worked very well.  I've tried to find more info on this, but it's not easy to find.  Looked on the Three website and most of it was about monthly contracts.  Do you have any links, or did you ring them?

replied on 12/03/2022 09:45

Posted on 12/03/2022 09:09 by SteveL

That’s sneaky. Do you know if it takes double data when used over there, or is the other 12gb still available to use in the UK. For us that would be acceptable as we also do a tour here. We have an old MiFi  for which I buy a SIM when going to Europe to give us a few more gb.

Posted on 12/03/2022 09:45

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

DavidKlyne replied on 12/03/2022 09:49

Posted on 11/03/2022 22:04 by Lyke Wake Man

NOT everyone is on monthly contract with internet  included, anyone like me who is retired and at home most of the day may have pay as you go =NO internet from your mobile

Posted on 12/03/2022 09:49

For years I used Virgin pay as you go which was good because you just paid for the calls you used, no monthly charge. However that was when phones just did calls and text and not really the internet. Since having a Smart Phone it is a bit pointless just using it for calls, I am not even sue you can use it just for calls. I pay about £11 a month for 20gb of data which rolls over if unused. Its probably a bit excessive for what I actually use so I could reduce the price I pay. Like many I have given up on Club WiFi  which whilst good value for the annual pass if it works. I find using my phone data much more reliable when in the van as I can just use the phone or tether it to my laptop.

David

SteveL replied on 12/03/2022 09:52

Posted on 12/03/2022 09:45 by

My understanding is (possibly wrong) 12 gb for roaming  and 12 for uk use.

InaD

Got nowhere with thier website or online chat wasnt answed. I had sent for the sim from amazon and since the packaging was different I broke the seal and read the instructions inside and that's where I  discovered it's no longer 24gb roaming .

I retuned it and amazon refunded  me within the hour even though the item would still have been at the Hermes drop off point.

Am looking at a Vodaphone product now.

Posted on 12/03/2022 09:52

Thanks David.

Wherenext replied on 12/03/2022 10:06

Posted on 12/03/2022 10:06

We will be looking at Smarty's no contract monthly deal when we get home next week. No roaming charges and big allowance. I think TG uses it and recommended it.

peedee replied on 12/03/2022 11:09

Posted on 12/03/2022 11:09

I use Giff Gaff, no roaming charges and you can adjust what you require on a mothly basis or top up if you exceed your allownace. Currently I pay £10 per month for 15Gbs which is more than enough for all my requirements. I sometime reduce it during the winter months when we are not away so much.

peedee

allanandjean replied on 12/03/2022 14:52

Posted on 12/03/2022 10:06 by Wherenext

We will be looking at Smarty's no contract monthly deal when we get home next week. No roaming charges and big allowance. I think TG uses it and recommended it.

Posted on 12/03/2022 14:52

WN, Smarty website;

"Travelling in the EU
Use your SMARTY plan
If your plan includes calls and texts, they work just like home. They’re unlimited with no extra fees.
Subject to our fair use limit, you can use up to 12GB of data each month out of your monthly allowance. If you need more data, you can buy a data add-on."

I checked last week as our Grandson has a Smarty SIM only deal.

AD/Ina D, Think that the 12gb  data limit applies to all 3/Smarty deals, even those that they no longer offer.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook