How to thrive on a non 240v site!

Merve replied on 16/01/2017 17:56

Posted on 16/01/2017 17:56

Due to difficulties migrating the original thread, which was massively interesting and popular with members, I am starting another one until the original can be found and  migrated to the Forum.  I apologise to the original OP but I think this is far too important not to be available. Personally, I think, because of the massive moves in technology recently, this subject should have a section by itself. I don't suppose the CC would think about that? So, anything about Solar Panels, LED lighting, Inverters, Safefill even. Anything that assists the caravanners to go off grid in fact - and saves money!!

Merve replied on 18/01/2017 07:54

Posted on 18/01/2017 07:06 by peedee

We also lost a very good thread on "Alternative Energy," I think somewhere in that thread was a pointer to a spreadsheet for calculating the size of the solar panel.You estimating your 12 volt power consumption over a 24 hour period and input your estimates and battery size into the spread sheet. Fortunately I have a copy and I have made this available to download or open >here<.

It is easy to play around with scenarios until you think you have a good idea of what size panel you might fit or have fitted. Have fun.

peedee

P.S. The spreadsheet contains my estimates and I did fit a 120 watt panel which even in the winter is keeping my battery charged when parked up.

Posted on 18/01/2017 07:54

Nice one peedee. 

young thomas replied on 18/01/2017 08:10

Posted on 18/01/2017 08:10

my 120w roof mounted SP also is well able to keep everything charged when parked up at home...

one other point re: safefill/gaslow.....dont forget that a set of adaptors will allow LPG refilling all over Europe, at an equally low price....

Boff replied on 18/01/2017 08:38

Posted on 18/01/2017 08:10 by young thomas

my 120w roof mounted SP also is well able to keep everything charged when parked up at home...

one other point re: safefill/gaslow.....dont forget that a set of adaptors will allow LPG refilling all over Europe, at an equally low price....

Posted on 18/01/2017 08:38

One point about the European adaptors for safefil.  I think so please check.  But safefil need a special apdaptor because it needs to screw into the LH thread of bottle.  Safefil sell these but they are more expensive than the standard ones, which is why I said check just in case I am talking cobblers. 

MichaelT replied on 18/01/2017 09:08

Posted on 17/01/2017 19:55 by Merve

MichealT hi. I think you will find that Safefill will continue to get sites. Neil and John  at Safefill are working extremely hard to bring this about. Keep the faith. It will happen I'm sure. It's too good a product not to become a massive winner with campers, caravanners, boaters, plumbers, roofers- the list goes on and I haven't even mentioned gas BBQs!!- how many millions of those are there? People power and demand will win in the end. When a garage has turned away the tenth person in a day wanting to fill their SF cylinder, they will start to think about the money they have lost. If they allow themselves to be dominated by Calor or Flo then that's up to them but in the end, there is absolutely no reason not to fill a SF cylinder. For me, it sits alongside SPs, LED lighting and USB charging as a Godsend to us lot!!

Posted on 18/01/2017 09:08

Merve

My comments were aimed at refillable in the whole not just safefill, it will not be of any use until there are plenty of sites to fill up, having a 50 mile round trip is not sustainable and garages are loathe to stock it due to poor demand!!

Also you have to use enough gas to make it worthwhile my BBQ at home the cylinder is about 6 years old and still 3/4 full, when we caravanned a cylinder lasted over a season so hardly an issue. 

We had Gaslow fitted in the MH as we felt we would stay in Aires etc. more so it would be handy especially abroad plus it was included in the deal smile.

I do not believe the market is as big as you think as the set up costs are prohibitive, if the cylinder to buy was in the region of say £50 then it would become viable for most people but only if there was somewhere to fill it so for that to happen I feel the dealers need to sell bulk as well as bottled gas, I am sure Calor and Flo gas could supply the tanks etc. but not sure the dealers would want to do that with  all the H&S hassle that would come with it as well as having a pump fitted and attending it but lets see.

peedee replied on 18/01/2017 12:29

Posted on 18/01/2017 12:29

To add to the above, some garages and I think BP are stopping selling gas which is a little worrying because it sounds as though it could become more scarce. Anyone contemplating buying a refillable system it may be wise to only buy one refillable with a standard bottle as spare.

peedee.

young thomas replied on 18/01/2017 12:54

Posted on 18/01/2017 12:54

Peedee, i use the system as you describe.....

i have one Gaslow 11kg refillable....

my second bottle hose has a std 'butane' fitting, just right for a French bottle, i also carry a Spanish 'jumbo' adaptor so that i can use a Spanish bottle should LPG be difficult to find.

however, ,y own experiences are that LPG is far easier to find in France/Spain than at home, with many large supermarkets selling it in France, along with umpteen Repsol/Cepsa stations in Spain.

i hope i have most bases covered....

peedee replied on 18/01/2017 13:22

Posted on 18/01/2017 13:22

That was the system I had in my last motorhome but with a calorlite as standby. I currently have a double 11Kgm Gaslow sytem. Iif gas starts to get scarce in the UK then I will just replace one of the re-fillable with a standard bottle.  Currently my local garage still sells it. Where did you get the Spanish jumbo adaptor and is it for use with the butane tail?

peedee

Boff replied on 18/01/2017 14:17

Posted on 18/01/2017 14:17

I think that the best hope for the continued availability of lpg in garages is if diesel goes out of fashion. 

The Ovaltineys replied on 18/01/2017 16:11

Posted on 18/01/2017 16:11

Has anyone ever filled their safefill bottle abroad? - The last time I checked on the Safefill website they had very few filling facilities in mainland Europe.

Merve replied on 18/01/2017 18:59

Posted on 18/01/2017 18:59

I'm sure they have! The refill sites I believe are more numerous abroad as they are much more educated about refillables. At the moment, I don't go abroad but I would have no worries about taking my SF cylinders together with adapters. I always check if there is a refill facility near to or en route to my destination. If not ( which as yet hasn't happened) I make sure I have enough gas to get me through easily. 

MT, thanks for your comments but I maintain that the LPG market, although shrinking due to the failure of LPG powered cars, is still vibrant. The refillable cylinders have opened up a new revenue stream for the independents. Safefill are very busy at the moment fulfilling orders for cylinders. I agree that if you don't use much gas then obviously the purchase of one doesn't make as much sense or not as much sense as someone who does use plenty but the only difference is that you'll get your money back over a greater timescale- but you'll still get it back - which is more than you can say about the 'contract ' money you have to pay Calor. 

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook