AGM 2023

DavidKlyne replied on 19/09/2023 10:40

Posted on 19/09/2023 10:40

I see from this link https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/about-us/agm/ we have the date of this years AGM, which is about 5/6 weeks away. However I can't find any details of whether this will be broadcast online or whether members will be able to submit questions in advance of the meeting as they have been able to do in recent years. Will we have an update?

David

Cornersteady replied on 30/09/2023 15:11

Posted on 30/09/2023 15:11

I find all these posts of replacing or even getting rid of people who run the club always perplexing.

For one thing the club is an organisation that one joins entirely on a voluntary basis, you even have to pay to join with a not totally insubstantial amount so it's not just a case of simply signing up and paying a few pounds to be a member? 

If one does join then finds that it is not run to your satisfaction, or one feels that one is a long way down the list of priorities then the answer is in two parts.

You can either not rejoin and stop using club sites and if (and it's a big if) enough people do that then the club will change. Alternatively campaign and get actually elected yourself and change things from that end.

It could be argued that as the membership is at all time high and club site occupancy appears good many members are do not feel the same way, and personally I think just quite happy to use club sites and services and do not really care what happens at the top?

Tinwheeler replied on 30/09/2023 15:27

Posted on 30/09/2023 15:27

Corners, your penultimate paragraph hits the nail on the head. People prefer to complain rather than actively do something about it. Resolution of a problem is within the gift of the membership.

peedee replied on 30/09/2023 15:56

Posted on 30/09/2023 15:56

It could be argued that as the membership is at all time high and club site occupancy appears good

You obviously have not looked at the 2022 performance review and in particular the outlook for 2023!

peedee

Cornersteady replied on 30/09/2023 16:42

Posted on 30/09/2023 15:56 by peedee

It could be argued that as the membership is at all time high and club site occupancy appears good

You obviously have not looked at the 2022 performance review and in particular the outlook for 2023!

peedee

Posted on 30/09/2023 16:42

No I have not PD. I made no mention at all of the outlook for 2023! and you've selectively quoted me there as it was linked to how members feel about those running the club, but my statement still stands.

Cornersteady replied on 30/09/2023 16:54

Posted on 30/09/2023 16:42 by Cornersteady

No I have not PD. I made no mention at all of the outlook for 2023! and you've selectively quoted me there as it was linked to how members feel about those running the club, but my statement still stands.

Posted on 30/09/2023 16:54

Sorry, I meant to say I have read the review and it confirms what I posted PD. The first paragraph alone shows that I would say.

Membership is at all time time high and a solid and successful year. Good enough for me.

GEandGJE replied on 30/09/2023 22:04

Posted on 30/09/2023 14:12 by sunlovers

It's time we got rid both, try to find someone who wants to make it a CLUB run for It's members,  not a travel agents out to make money in any it can,  like bring in a 20% deposit,  then telling you of the fantastic deal of bringing  it down  to 10%. Members seem to be a long way down the list of priorities now a days.

Posted on 30/09/2023 22:04

What action do you propose to take that will make this change at the top you are calling for.

Tinwheeler replied on 30/09/2023 22:29

Posted on 30/09/2023 22:04 by GEandGJE

What action do you propose to take that will make this change at the top you are calling for.

Posted on 30/09/2023 22:29

At least it’s got Sunlovers posting instead of just 'liking', GE, so they might have a plan for change. It’ll be good to hear👍🏻

Hja replied on 01/10/2023 11:25

Posted on 01/10/2023 11:25

I would like to hear more from OUR elected council members. I would like to know what they are arguing for in meetings. Are they holding the administration to account? Are they challenging them over the appalling communications from the Club? My issues stem from a lack of transparency within this members organisation. Of course I don’t need to belong to it. But I do and I choose to push for a little more openness via voting and questions to the AGM. I have no idea how the prospective council members get nominated. I suspect wheels within wheels.

DavidKlyne replied on 01/10/2023 11:54

Posted on 01/10/2023 11:54

I think we have a Club of two elements. One element would be those that belong to Club Centres and are involved at what some might see as the "grass roots" These people, through the "limited" Club democracy can put themselves up for election to various committees where they become known and are therefore in an ideal position  to progress to the Governing Committee. One shouldn't overlook the undoubted voluntary work they do for the Club and Centre members and I suspect that many of  those that are critical would be unlikely to commit the time and effort to achieve the same influence? It's a complete guess on my part but most of those elected in such a way would lean towards the traditional so whether they had sufficient "campaigning zeal" in terms of having a manifesto, perhaps unlikely? The second element, and probably the largest section of members are those that are just interested in the Club providing them with nice campsites for their stays away from home. Often their only extra contribution to the Club is maybe writing site/CL reviews and perhaps commenting on Social Media. Whilst those things are important its not exactly showing the same commitment as some running a Local Centre?

David

sunlovers replied on 01/10/2023 11:55

Posted on 01/10/2023 11:55

After 25 years membership we decided not to renew , but at the last moment we decided  to rejoin only for the CLs . We had 23 years of enjoying club site , it started to change with the  , the unnecessary change of name ,Unnecessary cost of changing club logo, signage, and uniforms . We keep getting told it's what the members wanted, I've yet to meet anyone that voted for it or got a chance . All we get is the club is doing what the members survey says, I for one have NEVER had or met a member that has been asked. The last strew was last October , we arrived at White House Beach Site mid week 9 mins early, the access through the village is very narrow , we got turned round and told to return in 10 mins, I thought they were joking , they weren't , so we ended up causing major traffic problems in the village, with another caravan going to the site being unable to pass each other because of parked cars. Also the site fees are far to high,  and the advertising say great deal we have reduce  the deposit from 20% to 10% it was only made 20% to get more of the members cash. I just want to  see it run like the CCC for it's members , not a travel & insurance agents ,that also has caravan & motorhome sites.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook