AGM 2023

DavidKlyne replied on 19/09/2023 10:40

Posted on 19/09/2023 10:40

I see from this link https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/about-us/agm/ we have the date of this years AGM, which is about 5/6 weeks away. However I can't find any details of whether this will be broadcast online or whether members will be able to submit questions in advance of the meeting as they have been able to do in recent years. Will we have an update?

David

sunlovers replied on 01/10/2023 12:04

Posted on 01/10/2023 12:04

Sorry I for got to add , the club might have got £59 out of us, but have lost a minimum of £850 site fees this year

Tinwheeler replied on 01/10/2023 12:08

Posted on 01/10/2023 12:08

Sunlovers, what are you going to do about it? You can campaign for change by becoming more involved or leave camc but it’s really no use complaining yet still paying your membership fee.

sunlovers replied on 01/10/2023 12:46

Posted on 01/10/2023 12:46

What can I do she who must be obeyed says she likes CLs ? . Being in my late 70s and not good health all I can is only pay Club site fees as a last resort, I haven''t paid any yet this year,

Tinwheeler replied on 01/10/2023 12:59

Posted on 01/10/2023 12:46 by sunlovers

What can I do she who must be obeyed says she likes CLs ? . Being in my late 70s and not good health all I can is only pay Club site fees as a last resort, I haven''t paid any yet this year,

Posted on 01/10/2023 12:59

You could stand for election to the Council, you could raise a question at the AGM either in person or remotely, you could complain directly to the DG and/or the Chairman, you could leave CAMC and join C&CC. Alternatively you can pay up your membership fee and look happy. It’s your choice but complaining to your fellow posters will achieve zilch. 

Cornersteady replied on 01/10/2023 14:22

Posted on 01/10/2023 11:55 by sunlovers

After 25 years membership we decided not to renew , but at the last moment we decided  to rejoin only for the CLs . We had 23 years of enjoying club site , it started to change with the  , the unnecessary change of name ,Unnecessary cost of changing club logo, signage, and uniforms . We keep getting told it's what the members wanted, I've yet to meet anyone that voted for it or got a chance . All we get is the club is doing what the members survey says, I for one have NEVER had or met a member that has been asked. The last strew was last October , we arrived at White House Beach Site mid week 9 mins early, the access through the village is very narrow , we got turned round and told to return in 10 mins, I thought they were joking , they weren't , so we ended up causing major traffic problems in the village, with another caravan going to the site being unable to pass each other because of parked cars. Also the site fees are far to high,  and the advertising say great deal we have reduce  the deposit from 20% to 10% it was only made 20% to get more of the members cash. I just want to  see it run like the CCC for it's members , not a travel & insurance agents ,that also has caravan & motorhome sites.

Posted on 01/10/2023 14:22

we arrived at White House Beach Site mid week 9 mins early, the access through the village is very narrow , we got turned round and told to return in 10 mins, I thought they were joking , they weren't , so we ended up causing major traffic problems in the village, with another caravan going to the site being unable to pass each other because of parked cars.

I know WHB well and yes it has narrow approaches which caused problems when it was leave and arrive at 12. Sorry but you agreed to arrive after 1pm yet thought it would be OK to arrive early and by your decision caused a problem. It's not the club's fault here but yours. There have been many discussions on here about early arrivals and many complaints against those that do. In fact in this case the club is doing exactly what many members (at least on here) want.

Also the site fees are far to high, and the advertising say great deal we have reduce the deposit from 20% to 10% it was only made 20% to get more of the members cash.

I don't follow that at all? The deposit amount, be it 20% or 10%, is part of the the total price paid, paying 20% upfront means the club gets that earlier but it is not getting more of your cash - you would have paid it sooner or later. I suppose it could be argued they will make some interest from that, but now it's even less at 10%?

In my view the introduction of deposits has made long term bookings reduce and the number of cancellations down by 70% and I see that as a benefit to members. 

peedee replied on 01/10/2023 14:38

Posted on 01/10/2023 11:54 by DavidKlyne

I think we have a Club of two elements. One element would be those that belong to Club Centres and are involved at what some might see as the "grass roots" These people, through the "limited" Club democracy can put themselves up for election to various committees where they become known and are therefore in an ideal position  to progress to the Governing Committee. One shouldn't overlook the undoubted voluntary work they do for the Club and Centre members and I suspect that many of  those that are critical would be unlikely to commit the time and effort to achieve the same influence? It's a complete guess on my part but most of those elected in such a way would lean towards the traditional so whether they had sufficient "campaigning zeal" in terms of having a manifesto, perhaps unlikely? The second element, and probably the largest section of members are those that are just interested in the Club providing them with nice campsites for their stays away from home. Often their only extra contribution to the Club is maybe writing site/CL reviews and perhaps commenting on Social Media. Whilst those things are important its not exactly showing the same commitment as some running a Local Centre?

David

Posted on 01/10/2023 14:38

Good post David.

With regards to to 2022 performace report, I am sure readers are capable of drawing their own conclusions as well as reading between the lines pf such reports which all too often are presented with a positive slant.

peedee

Cornersteady replied on 01/10/2023 15:08

Posted on 01/10/2023 15:08

We are pleased to report that the Club had another successful year in which we experienced more normal pre-pandemic levels of activity as the UK staycation boom waned, meaning a solid but not exceptional year was achieved on UK sites.

Statutory revenue was up 18.7% year-on-year at £134.6m producing a statutory surplus of £5.3m...(and confirmed by the auditors)

I think those are pretty good and as they are given as simple statistics I can't see how they are can anything but neutral, that is neither positive or negative slants? I'm sure plenty of similar business would love to able to state those words and figures

But in any case I suspect that many users (especially outside of CT) of club sites and services won't even look at them but continue to use the club as it gives them what they want. I don't look at Sainsbury's, car dealers... or anything that I buy from, accounts or performance reviews, I simply buy to suit to preferences. 

There are warnings about the future but then again I recall from last year's review it was 'dark clouds are gathering' but that didn't occur in any way at all, especially  on the sites I actually visited and by the quoted parts from the review, and there was something similar the year before. Some may worry or makes comments about that while others like myself who actually go to club sites go and continue to enjoy them.

As a members’ organisation with no shareholders or dividends to pay, or expensive borrowing, we are in the best possible position to confidently weather these sorts of financial storms, as we have successfully done through previous periods of
significant financial pressure

As always if the club isn't giving you want you want in either services or sites then we're told there are plenty of better sites out there, cheaper too. 

peedee replied on 02/10/2023 08:29

Posted on 02/10/2023 08:29

It is easy to quote bits in support of your views CS,Like I said above I will let the readers of the report judge for themselves.

peedee

DavidKlyne replied on 02/10/2023 09:22

Posted on 02/10/2023 09:22

The Club are clearly not expecting 2023 to be as good for the reasons they mention which also chime with some of the comments on the forum over the last year. No mention of the impact of the new booking system although I image that will be in one of the reports to the AGM on the day?

David

Cornersteady replied on 02/10/2023 10:22

Posted on 02/10/2023 08:29 by peedee

It is easy to quote bits in support of your views CS,Like I said above I will let the readers of the report judge for themselves.

peedee

Posted on 02/10/2023 10:22

Ok, but I'm just posting rather more than bits I would say, but whole paragraphs with actual money figures to show how your view that all is not well is rather incorrect. but why not post some bits from the review to support your position PD? 

The vast majority of those who actually use club sites (and other services) I suspect won't even know the review and AGM is there let alone see it.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook