AGM 2023

sunlovers replied on 02/10/2023 13:24

Posted on 01/10/2023 14:22 by Cornersteady

we arrived at White House Beach Site mid week 9 mins early, the access through the village is very narrow , we got turned round and told to return in 10 mins, I thought they were joking , they weren't , so we ended up causing major traffic problems in the village, with another caravan going to the site being unable to pass each other because of parked cars.

I know WHB well and yes it has narrow approaches which caused problems when it was leave and arrive at 12. Sorry but you agreed to arrive after 1pm yet thought it would be OK to arrive early and by your decision caused a problem. It's not the club's fault here but yours. There have been many discussions on here about early arrivals and many complaints against those that do. In fact in this case the club is doing exactly what many members (at least on here) want.

Also the site fees are far to high, and the advertising say great deal we have reduce the deposit from 20% to 10% it was only made 20% to get more of the members cash.

I don't follow that at all? The deposit amount, be it 20% or 10%, is part of the the total price paid, paying 20% upfront means the club gets that earlier but it is not getting more of your cash - you would have paid it sooner or later. I suppose it could be argued they will make some interest from that, but now it's even less at 10%?

In my view the introduction of deposits has made long term bookings reduce and the number of cancellations down by 70% and I see that as a benefit to members. 

Posted on 02/10/2023 13:24

I agree we were 9 mins early , it was at the time the 13.00 rule was starting to be inforced, unbeknown to us, in the past wardens used a little common sense, it was late October,  poor weather, the A12 was very quiet,  with very few if any places to stop ,so we thought 9 mins wouldn't be a problem,  infact we found out later only  3 vans booked in that day. We pulled on the site ,so as not to cause any problems  but the wardens saw it fit to cause problems  in the village by turning us away, instead of explaining, from now on 13.00 applies to  all sites. As for  you not seeing 20% 10% not making any difference, it means the club get 10% extra of my money  to sit on, and if we have to cancel they get 20% deposit  not 10%. Also someone earlier, its no good complaining on this page  I now know but in my ignorance I thought it might be read by someone in the HQ but I now know the only way to get noticed is post on Trust pilot  which gets the same old replies with in hours.

Tinwheeler replied on 02/10/2023 14:36

Posted on 02/10/2023 14:36

Without wishing to be harsh, Sunlovers, you agree you were at fault by arriving early so surely you can understand the site warden's position in applying the rules his employer stipulates? A ruling, incidentally that has been publicised on here, in the magazine, on each site's webpage, in emails etc. It’s a shame you found out the hard way though 😕

Cornersteady replied on 02/10/2023 15:13

Posted on 02/10/2023 15:13

it means the club get 10% extra of my money to sit on, and if we have to cancel they get 20% deposit not 10%

Sorry I cannot understand that at all? I admitted the club will maybe make some interest of your deposit in my reply to you but if you cancel outside of the 21 days you'll get all of that money back so how will the club get 20% and not 10%? 

Personally I think the club T&C are one of the most generous around, you might find that in some cases some CL's have far harsher terms and non refundable as well.

but the wardens saw it fit to cause problems...

Again not to sound harsh, no the club did not, you did by arriving early. It was well publicised that the club would turn away early arrivals. 

Tinwheeler replied on 02/10/2023 15:51

Posted on 02/10/2023 15:51

….and to bring it back on topic, I think, Sunlovers, you really need to make your voice heard at the AGM if you feel CAMC is running off course.

DavidKlyne replied on 02/10/2023 15:57

Posted on 02/10/2023 15:57

Sunlovers

What you and I don't know is how many members before you had arrived at that site early, since the change in arrival times? Had you been the only one perhaps there might have been a little room for making allowances. However if you were one of many (the subject crops up a lot in reviews) you can perhaps understand the site staff's frustration. At the end of the day it is the members responsibility to make sure they don't arrive before time. Before we set off we always investigate stopping places en route (hopefully selling coffee!) so we don't have the same situation.

As far as deposits are concerned that is quite a big change for many members. I tend to agree that the Club have got to decide whether they are charging 20% or 10%. I wonder if they might be in a period of experiment? But as Cornersteady says compared to most commercial sites the club offer is still pretty generous. Cancel before the 21 day deadline and you get your money back, cancel 24 hours before you arrive on site and all you loose is the deposit. ( I only mention 24 hours because any later could be difficult if you have agreed to pay before arrival) I used to like the old system as I could plan well ahead but I am not so keen to do that now because with age things become a bit more unpredictable!

David

Takethedogalong replied on 02/10/2023 17:16

Posted on 02/10/2023 17:16

I’d say that this last year has been a period of “experiment”. 13 amendments already to the new booking system, with another 3 planned. Dynamic pricing, dynamically driven deposit percentages, almost weekly bombardment of Membership with special offers (rather restrictive once you have read all the T&Cs🤨). 

No wonder they needed all those extra Marketing staff🤣

I’m not expecting the AGM to tell us anything. Although it would be good to know if the Uttoxeter Site will re open…..my money is on……

Not.

DavidKlyne replied on 02/10/2023 20:04

Posted on 02/10/2023 17:16 by Takethedogalong

I’d say that this last year has been a period of “experiment”. 13 amendments already to the new booking system, with another 3 planned. Dynamic pricing, dynamically driven deposit percentages, almost weekly bombardment of Membership with special offers (rather restrictive once you have read all the T&Cs🤨). 

No wonder they needed all those extra Marketing staff🤣

I’m not expecting the AGM to tell us anything. Although it would be good to know if the Uttoxeter Site will re open…..my money is on……

Not.

Posted on 02/10/2023 20:04

TDA

We usually learn a lot from the answers to the AGM questions, albeit after the event. 

David

JollyKernow replied on 02/10/2023 20:09

Posted on 02/10/2023 14:36 by Tinwheeler

Without wishing to be harsh, Sunlovers, you agree you were at fault by arriving early so surely you can understand the site warden's position in applying the rules his employer stipulates? A ruling, incidentally that has been publicised on here, in the magazine, on each site's webpage, in emails etc. It’s a shame you found out the hard way though 😕

Posted on 02/10/2023 20:09

We're given the brief from the top regarding early arrivals and credit people with using their common sense as there's ample communication advising the earliest arrival time, not forgetting the sms message that is sent to every phone on the members profile the day before arrival.

JK

SteveL replied on 03/10/2023 06:52

Posted on 02/10/2023 13:24 by sunlovers

I agree we were 9 mins early , it was at the time the 13.00 rule was starting to be inforced, unbeknown to us, in the past wardens used a little common sense, it was late October,  poor weather, the A12 was very quiet,  with very few if any places to stop ,so we thought 9 mins wouldn't be a problem,  infact we found out later only  3 vans booked in that day. We pulled on the site ,so as not to cause any problems  but the wardens saw it fit to cause problems  in the village by turning us away, instead of explaining, from now on 13.00 applies to  all sites. As for  you not seeing 20% 10% not making any difference, it means the club get 10% extra of my money  to sit on, and if we have to cancel they get 20% deposit  not 10%. Also someone earlier, its no good complaining on this page  I now know but in my ignorance I thought it might be read by someone in the HQ but I now know the only way to get noticed is post on Trust pilot  which gets the same old replies with in hours.

Posted on 03/10/2023 06:52

with very few if any places to stop ,so we thought 9 mins wouldn't be a problem

There are several round abouts on that section of the A12 it would have been easy enough to put a loop in to add 9 mins. As stated it was your choice to arrive early. Personally I think it better to aim for 1:30, it is very unlikely you are going to pick up 30 minutes.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook