Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act, 1960

BirchHillFarmCL replied on 08/09/2019 19:06

Posted on 08/09/2019 19:06

Although the CAMC may have 'gold plated' some aspects of the 1960 Act, the 5-van part of it is a key aspect that cannot be changed without reviewing the whole Act.

That simply isn't going to happen - it is too big a piece of legislation, with too many interested parties, including Club-owned sites, CLs, ralliers, and more significantly, the trade organisations of static caravan sites, such as the British Holiday & Home Parks Association.

Clubs such as the CAMC and C&CC have too much to lose if a review of the Act goes in the wrong direction.

The other factor if trying to change the Act is that the government has different priorities at present, so anyone trying to change the 1960 Act would just be wasting their time.

The 5-van limit was a concession to landowners to avoid the need for small sites to go through the full process of Planning Permission.  Landowners (and Club members) should see this as a benefit, rather than an imposition.

If CL Owners want more than 5 vans on their land, they then need to go via the Planning Permission process and be licenced by their local council. This is costly and the site owner would also be responsible for their own advertising. The CAMC website and Sites Directory are easier and cheaper ways for landowners to promote small caravan sites.

'No Tents' is a CAMC rule, rather than the law, but if CL owners want to stay with the CAMC, they need to play by Club rules.

• The C&CC and Freedom Camping Club allow tents under the 1960 Act, but those are much smaller organisations, with fewer members as potential guests. The CAMC is the 'brand leader'.
  • The C&CC charges landowners £165 + VAT every 2 years to operate CSs (equivalent to CLs). It does not allow CS Owners to advertise their CSs outside the main C&CC website and C&CC Sites Handbook, i.e. no personal websites, and no FaceBook pages to promote the CS.  (The CAMC simply asks that new CL Owners pay the same membership fee as other Club members.)

If CL Owners break the law, by over-booking, allowing tents or having non-recreational guests (e.g. workers or residents), they are putting the interests of Club members and the businesses of other CL Owners at risk in 2 ways:

• The CAMC could lose its status of being allowed to issue operating Certificates to CLs.
  • If a neighbouring CL is struggling with lack of bookings, a CL Owner that overbooks is potentially damaging their neighbour’s income stream.

By recommending neighbouring CLs, it helps a CL Owner’s local economy; the neighbour might return the favour; and our experience is that the people we turned-away will probably pop-in to see what they've missed, and often book us for their next holiday.

Ian Kelly
01691 622951
Holiday@BirchHill.co.uk
Birch Hill, The Cross, Ellesmere, Shropshire, SY12 0LP
www.BirchHill.co.uk

Birch Hill Farm – relax at our award-winning hideaway in the beautiful lake-lands of Shropshire - exclusively for members of the Caravan and Motorhome Club

birderbilly replied on 09/09/2019 18:46

Posted on 09/09/2019 18:46

Can someone explain exactly what the rules/law is vis a CL having a "rally" effectively on the CL - does this in any way legally circumvent the 5 van limit ?

peedee replied on 09/09/2019 19:13

Posted on 09/09/2019 19:13

If it was on a separate field I don't see the problem. If it also occupied the CL area, I guess it is down to the owner whether he sacrifices normal bookings or not.

peedee

young thomas replied on 10/09/2019 08:28

Posted on 10/09/2019 08:28

this possibly looks like the section under which 'exempted organisations' can hold rallies, THS etc...

"Sites occupied and supervised by exempted organisations

Subject to the provisions of paragraph 13 of this Schedule, a site licence shall not be required for the use as a caravan site of land which is occupied by an organisation which holds for the time being a certificate of exemption granted under paragraph 12 of this Schedule (hereinafter referred to as an exempted organisation) if the use is for purposes of recreation and is under the supervision of the organisation."

i couldn't find (who could....?) a reference to max duration or numbers for these but I know some THS meets go on for several weeks and can have many vans....perhaps 28 days?

Takethedogalong replied on 10/09/2019 09:54

Posted on 10/09/2019 09:54

It is 28 days BB. This explains a little more, and lists some of the Clubs and Exempted Organisations that are members. Note that under the News section CAMoGG, newly formed, are welcomed. 😁

https://www.acceo.org/

peedee replied on 10/09/2019 10:21

Posted on 10/09/2019 10:21

It should be noted there are 4 types of exemption certificates that can be applied for.

1. Sites Occupied & Supervised by Exempted Organisations.. this covers temporay sites established for events. As TTDL says maximum of 28 days

2.Sites Approved by Exempted Organisations... covers certificate sites and locations

3.Meetings Organised by Exempted Organisations.. covers rallies limited to a maximum duration of 5 days.

The above three are covered by the 1960 act.

4. Camping e.g. tents

covered by a 1936 act

The C&MC holds all 4 and unlike some organisations these are permanent and they do not have to renew these.

Hope this helps clarify.

peedee

P.S. other conditions may apply in Scotland and Wales e.g. I don't think the camping exemption applies in Scotland.

CLMaddie replied on 10/09/2019 11:22

Posted on 10/09/2019 11:22

Hi All,

The Caravan and Motorhome Club CL exemption is for 5 vans (Caravan, Motorhome or trailer tents). We only allow the use of pup tents (which are small single berth tents which is regarded as part of the outfit), but no other form of tents or camping is permitted on our CL's. 

We have many CL owners with a large amount of land and we only designate and certificate an area as the CL site. The owners are able to use the rest of their land for other activities as long as it does not impact/intrude on the CL site and they are able to meet certain criteria set out by the Club.

Rallies/Festivals are strictly forbidden on CL sites and the owners cannot temporarily close the CL to hold an event on the area that we have certificated.

As previously mentioned on other threads, all CL Sites should only ever have a maximum of 5 vans on site at all times. There are no exceptions to this. Having more than 5 vans on site not only puts their own CL certificate in jeopardy and raises questions about the safety of our members whilst on site but it also risks the Club’s exemption to be able to certificate all of our CL’s. 

We appreciate some members are happy to ignore extra vans for fear of losing a good site and we work very hard to keep existing sites but we have a duty of care to all parties that the 5 van rule is not abused and that we do not lose our exemption. Any breach of our guidelines is taken very seriously by the Club and we have closed CL's in the past for abusing this rule.

When an applicant applies for a CL it is made clear to them that the income from these sites will not be substantial and that they need to take into consideration the cost of setting up and running the site.

We will happily work with CL owners who wish to extend their pitching by getting a commercial licence from their local authority as well as keeping their CL site wherever we can.

I hope this has answered everyones questions.

Thanks

Maddie

richardandros replied on 10/09/2019 11:46

Posted on 10/09/2019 11:22 by CLMaddie

Hi All,

The Caravan and Motorhome Club CL exemption is for 5 vans (Caravan, Motorhome or trailer tents). We only allow the use of pup tents (which are small single berth tents which is regarded as part of the outfit), but no other form of tents or camping is permitted on our CL's. 

We have many CL owners with a large amount of land and we only designate and certificate an area as the CL site. The owners are able to use the rest of their land for other activities as long is it does not impact/intrude on the CL site and they are able to meet certain criteria set out by the Club.

Rallies/Festivals are strictly forbidden on CL sites and the owners cannot temporarily close the CL to hold an event on the area that we have certificated.

As previously mentioned on other threads, all CL Sites should only ever have a maximum of 5 vans on site at all times. There are no exceptions to this. Having more than 5 vans on site not only puts their own CL certificate in jeopardy and raises questions about the safety of our members whilst on site but it also risks the Club’s exemption to be able to certificate all of our CL’s. 

We appreciate some members are happy to ignore extra vans for fear of losing a good site and we work very hard to keep existing sites but we have a duty of care to all parties that the 5 van rule is not abused and that we do not lose our exemption. Any breach of our guidelines is taken very seriously by the Club and we have closed CL's in the past for abusing this rule.

When an applicant applies for a CL it is made clear to them that the income from these sites will not be substantial and that they need to take into consideration the cost of setting up and running the site.

We will happily work with CL owners who wish to extend their pitching by getting a commercial licence from their local authority as well as keeping their CL site wherever we can.

I hope this has answered everyones questions.

Thanks

Maddie

Posted on 10/09/2019 11:46

Sorry Maddie - you haven't answered my question, raised in this thread and that entitled "Crowded Out". I and a number of other members have come across sites that - according to what the owners tell us - are operating as two CLs, side by side - thus having up to 10 vans on site at any one time.

I didn't have a problem with the site I stayed on - there was more than enough room across 2 acres - but the demarcation between the two 'sites' was nothing more than a small fence and a few bits of newly planted hedging.  To all intents and purposes, it was one large site.

All the facilities - and the entrance, were shared between the two.

Are owners - or different members of the same family / residence allowed to operate two sites in this manner?

CLMaddie replied on 10/09/2019 13:40

Posted on 10/09/2019 11:46 by richardandros

Sorry Maddie - you haven't answered my question, raised in this thread and that entitled "Crowded Out". I and a number of other members have come across sites that - according to what the owners tell us - are operating as two CLs, side by side - thus having up to 10 vans on site at any one time.

I didn't have a problem with the site I stayed on - there was more than enough room across 2 acres - but the demarcation between the two 'sites' was nothing more than a small fence and a few bits of newly planted hedging.  To all intents and purposes, it was one large site.

All the facilities - and the entrance, were shared between the two.

Are owners - or different members of the same family / residence allowed to operate two sites in this manner?

Posted on 10/09/2019 13:40

Hi Richardandros,

Sorry I haven't answered this yet, I am still awaiting confirmation on the answer for this. As soon as I have one I will let you know. 

Thanks

Maddie

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook