Covid - news and views

brue replied on 08/02/2021 13:35

Posted on 08/02/2021 13:35

It's good to hear that members of CT are receiving their vaccinations, good luck to all those yet to have theirs. It seems like a long haul till we get everyone sorted and hear the results of the present vaccines. 

I'm leaving this open for non political comments as per the guidelines. Hope you can add your own experiences and thoughts.

My first jab comes up tomorrow, I'm so glad we have research institutions that have got us this far! And I am planning breaks away in the hope of improvements on the horizon.

Takethedogalong replied on 28/11/2021 11:04

Posted on 27/11/2021 18:45 by Wherenext

Have to say we've been really disappointed with the response in England to mask wearing. Just glad that the rule wasn't relaxed in Wales, although a few, mostly people in their 20s decide to non co-operate.

We spent nearly 6 weeks in Autumn in the South West of England and on only 1 shopping occasion did we feel comfortable.

Posted on 28/11/2021 11:04

Fully agree WN. We had a very good two weeks in Borders back June/July, and the difference between what was happening in Scotland, and what was going on in England was very marked. We felt comfortable in Scotland, where mask wearing, social distancing measures had been retained, but didn’t visit anywhere busy in England.

LLM replied on 28/11/2021 11:32

Posted on 28/11/2021 10:07 by peedee

I heard one report from a South African doctor who said the infection from Omircon is not so serious and can be treated with anti viral drugs??????

Lets hope he/she is correct.

peedee

Posted on 28/11/2021 11:32

The job of a virus is to spread, but I have no idea why and for what reason undecided.  It can't do that if it kills it's host.  In the past to that end they have adjusted in two ways, becoming more transmissible but less virulent.  My finger are crossed in the hope of this being a change that will be like that.  

Pleased to say that yesterday, despite the cold, wind, and rain, we had a queue for jabs around the block even before we opened the doors.

JohnM20 replied on 28/11/2021 11:53

Posted on 27/11/2021 18:45 by Wherenext

Have to say we've been really disappointed with the response in England to mask wearing. Just glad that the rule wasn't relaxed in Wales, although a few, mostly people in their 20s decide to non co-operate.

We spent nearly 6 weeks in Autumn in the South West of England and on only 1 shopping occasion did we feel comfortable.

Posted on 28/11/2021 11:53

Went by bus into town on Friday, the first time for many months. By the time we got there, a half hour journey, the bus was full, mainly with older people using their bus passes and all of them wearing masks. However, there was a total of six other people who got on who I would say were all under 40, not one of them wearing a mask. The same in the shopping centre. To see someone under the age of about 40 actually wearing a mask was very rare. Do they still think they are invincible or don't they care if they spread Covid?

It was the same in our local Sainsbury store but here they kept putting out a message over the Tannoy that although a personal choice, people should wear masks if they could. The obvious exception, apart from under 40's, was the staff. I bet not half of them had masks on. I know they can be uncomfortable wearing them all day but nurses and doctors put up with the discomfort all day.

replied on 28/11/2021 12:02

Posted on 28/11/2021 11:32 by LLM

The job of a virus is to spread, but I have no idea why and for what reason undecided.  It can't do that if it kills it's host.  In the past to that end they have adjusted in two ways, becoming more transmissible but less virulent.  My finger are crossed in the hope of this being a change that will be like that.  

Pleased to say that yesterday, despite the cold, wind, and rain, we had a queue for jabs around the block even before we opened the doors.

Posted on 28/11/2021 12:02

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

DavidKlyne replied on 28/11/2021 12:33

Posted on 28/11/2021 11:32 by LLM

Posted on 28/11/2021 12:33

I wonder if virologists even understand that fully? It seems that a virus will mutate in order for it to latch onto more hosts. The more it mutates the more likely that errors will occur along the way which could, of course, go either way. The evidence from SARS Corona Virus 1 suggests it will burn itself out by trying to be too clever? There is already a new Japanese mutant that seems to be going down that route. All a bit wishful thinking until we get a clearer picture of what the impact of the latest South Africa version does?

David

JVB66 replied on 28/11/2021 12:44

Posted on 28/11/2021 12:44

It see s it is only in certain areas that suffer from long queues ,,we had our booster in Norfolk on a Sunday morning and if we had not been there the staff would have been twiddling their thumbs,  while waiting the 15mins to see if we had a reaction another elderly couple arrived

And a Young couple for their first jab

replied on 28/11/2021 13:33

Posted on 28/11/2021 12:44 by JVB66

It see s it is only in certain areas that suffer from long queues ,,we had our booster in Norfolk on a Sunday morning and if we had not been there the staff would have been twiddling their thumbs,  while waiting the 15mins to see if we had a reaction another elderly couple arrived

And a Young couple for their first jab

Posted on 28/11/2021 13:33

peedee replied on 28/11/2021 13:37

Posted on 28/11/2021 10:07 by peedee

I heard one report from a South African doctor who said the infection from Omircon is not so serious and can be treated with anti viral drugs??????

Lets hope he/she is correct.

peedee

Posted on 28/11/2021 13:37

There was more on this on the Andrew Marr show >here<

peedee

brue replied on 28/11/2021 13:55

Posted on 28/11/2021 12:33 by DavidKlyne

I wonder if virologists even understand that fully? It seems that a virus will mutate in order for it to latch onto more hosts. The more it mutates the more likely that errors will occur along the way which could, of course, go either way. The evidence from SARS Corona Virus 1 suggests it will burn itself out by trying to be too clever? There is already a new Japanese mutant that seems to be going down that route. All a bit wishful thinking until we get a clearer picture of what the impact of the latest South Africa version does?

David

Posted on 28/11/2021 13:55

One of the problems is that viruses can remain "structurally intact" outside the host which is why handwashing and santisers are so important. Just hope people keep up these regimes.

replied on 28/11/2021 14:02

Posted on 28/11/2021 14:02

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook