Covid - news and views

brue replied on 08/02/2021 13:35

Posted on 08/02/2021 13:35

It's good to hear that members of CT are receiving their vaccinations, good luck to all those yet to have theirs. It seems like a long haul till we get everyone sorted and hear the results of the present vaccines. 

I'm leaving this open for non political comments as per the guidelines. Hope you can add your own experiences and thoughts.

My first jab comes up tomorrow, I'm so glad we have research institutions that have got us this far! And I am planning breaks away in the hope of improvements on the horizon.

brue replied on 01/12/2021 10:24

Posted on 01/12/2021 10:24

Supermarket slots are always full at this time of the year, so I expect there is an extra scramble taking place.

Our village village has covid cases, indoor events cancelled. frown

DavidKlyne replied on 01/12/2021 10:24

Posted on 01/12/2021 08:55 by JVB66

Our grand daughter when not at Uni works in our local Tesco supermarket

She said there were quite a few "younger?" shoppers  that were exempt from mask wearing,  when the boss of Tesco beefed up the security staff ,,very many of those who said they were exempt  starting wearing face coverings

The staff at our local coop store ,were reticent to ask shoppers to wear face coverings as they were already at times having problems with shoppers 

Posted on 01/12/2021 10:24

I tend to agree. I think it easy for people to pontificate about what shops staff should do without realising they could be putting themselves in danger. Our local Co-Op has about half a dozen staff in at anyone time and they just don't have the numbers to police it. Larger stores have security guards and they are in a better position to control things. Shop staff come in for enough abuse in normal times let alone during the pandemic. 

Takethedogalong replied on 01/12/2021 10:32

Posted on 01/12/2021 10:32

Case rates are very high again. Some folks forget that having all the jabs doesn’t stop you getting Covid, or transmitting it if you do get it, the jabs are there to help you from dying from it.

It’s common sense and taking care that helps to prevent catching it, that and a pinch of luck. 

I’m getting mixed messages at the moment. Desperate to ramp up the jabs, but hey, it’s ok to have a party......really?🤷‍♀️

DEBSC replied on 01/12/2021 10:43

Posted on 01/12/2021 10:43

Yes TTDog, we both had a flu jab, then contracted it and have both been very poorly, would hate to think how bad we could have been without the jab. As you say, the same with Covid doesn’t stop you being very ill. 

Takethedogalong replied on 01/12/2021 10:52

Posted on 01/12/2021 10:52

We haven’t had a cold for years, either of us. But we have had two now in only two months, and a good bit worse than usual cold. We are both flu jabbed as well. Nothing like flu, but uncomfortable enough. 

I don’t know why, but I am actually staggered that testing before leaving, and on arrival isn’t as good as it sounds for overseas travellers. It’s like everything else about UK.....a money making racket for someone, and no one to properly police it. You can have as many “rules” as you like. It’s enforcing the rules that makes the difference. And that’s not the job of shop workers.

SeasideBill replied on 01/12/2021 11:14

Posted on 01/12/2021 10:32 by Takethedogalong

Case rates are very high again. Some folks forget that having all the jabs doesn’t stop you getting Covid, or transmitting it if you do get it, the jabs are there to help you from dying from it.

It’s common sense and taking care that helps to prevent catching it, that and a pinch of luck. 

I’m getting mixed messages at the moment. Desperate to ramp up the jabs, but hey, it’s ok to have a party......really?🤷‍♀️

Posted on 01/12/2021 11:14

“mixed messages”

I can kind of understand it…. on the one hand there are political, social & economic factors that the Government can’t reconcile, let alone manage. And on the other hand there’s an escalating healthcare crisis. In minister’s minds there must be real concerns about social unrest and disobedience. People are utterly fed up and we’ve seen on the near continent what that can lead to. Therefore weakening the link between catching Covid and hospitalisation is the only meaningful game in town. Infection is a secondary consideration. At one time it was all about slowing the panademic to enable the NHS to cope, now it’s very different. Time will tell whether the vaccination strategy eventually puts Covid into remission. Trouble is, mutation seems to be the strongest player in the game at the moment.

replied on 01/12/2021 11:23

Posted on 01/12/2021 10:52 by Takethedogalong

We haven’t had a cold for years, either of us. But we have had two now in only two months, and a good bit worse than usual cold. We are both flu jabbed as well. Nothing like flu, but uncomfortable enough. 

I don’t know why, but I am actually staggered that testing before leaving, and on arrival isn’t as good as it sounds for overseas travellers. It’s like everything else about UK.....a money making racket for someone, and no one to properly police it. You can have as many “rules” as you like. It’s enforcing the rules that makes the difference. And that’s not the job of shop workers.

Posted on 01/12/2021 11:23

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

SeasideBill replied on 01/12/2021 11:36

Posted on 01/12/2021 11:23 by

When we returned from the continent we had ordered the day 2 tests and they were duly delivered . The tests required us to validate the kit online (whatever that meant) or by phone at their call center. Online validation just kept throwing up errors and no one answered their phones We did the test and posted them at a priority post box along with a note explaining the problems we had. Never heard a word back from them. The approved company list is clearly populated by cowboy companies that have sprung up from nowhere and I am  of the view that it is a racket.

Posted on 01/12/2021 11:36

There lots of cowboys I fear, some enjoying the lobbying support of MPs using their ‘free time’. As I said in a previous post, Trustpilot reviews are now starting to emerge and I think they’re a fairly reliable way of filtering out the dross. In the early days most of them seemed to struggle with infrastructure, not least websites that didn’t work properly. It was clear that many had no intention of providing a facility to contact a member of staff when things went wrong. My most recent experience was a good one and I’d happily use them again. Like you, I suspect there is nothing much going on to monitor or follow-up test results.

Takethedogalong replied on 01/12/2021 11:37

Posted on 01/12/2021 11:37

Totally agree AD. And with much of what you say as well SB. But it doesn’t inspire confidence at all sadly. 

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook