Covid - news and views

brue replied on 08/02/2021 13:35

Posted on 08/02/2021 13:35

It's good to hear that members of CT are receiving their vaccinations, good luck to all those yet to have theirs. It seems like a long haul till we get everyone sorted and hear the results of the present vaccines. 

I'm leaving this open for non political comments as per the guidelines. Hope you can add your own experiences and thoughts.

My first jab comes up tomorrow, I'm so glad we have research institutions that have got us this far! And I am planning breaks away in the hope of improvements on the horizon.

SeasideBill replied on 01/12/2021 11:53

Posted on 01/12/2021 11:53

We haven’t had a cold for years, either of us. But we have had two now in only two months, and a good bit worse than usual cold. We are both flu jabbed as well. Nothing like flu, but uncomfortable enough.

One of the downsides of having grandchildren is that they are basically petri dishes. Everytime we see them, especially in the winter, we’ll come away with some form of lurgy. Our recent encounter left us each with a cold and persisting cough which is very unfortunate as we’re now shunned by all and feel the need to explain that we’ve tested ourselves (again) that morning and don’t have Covid!

Takethedogalong replied on 01/12/2021 12:05

Posted on 01/12/2021 12:05

That’s the other strange thing SB. We have no contact with children at all, and for last few months haven’t had close indoor contact with anyone else who does. Just shows how random it can be though picking up any kind of virus. Once one in house gets it, other is doomed of course. OH was well on the mend before I succumbed, and trust me lots of handwashing and sanitising going on. Haven’t dared go see my Mum all week, don’t want to risk her getting it, even a bad cold at 93 takes some getting over. 

JVB66 replied on 01/12/2021 12:34

Posted on 01/12/2021 10:16 by SeasideBill

Several folks have reported that supermarket delivery slots are becoming scarce again? We used them last lockdown as we were also shopping for a couple of neighbours, but then reverted to ‘click & collect’ which works so well we’ve stuck with for the most part. I hate shopping at the best of times and just turning up while somebody stuffs it all in the boot is great. 

Up until recent times I’ve known relatively few people with Covid, but all of sudden there seems to be loads, young & old including a death.  Most have had at least 2 jabs which is worrying. It’s certainly focussed my mind on avoidance strategies again.

Posted on 01/12/2021 12:34

One thing we will not get via home delivery or click and collect is fresh fruit and veg, ,we have seen how those are "picked?" compared  to what .we would picksurprised

replied on 01/12/2021 12:46

Posted on 01/12/2021 12:34 by JVB66

One thing we will not get via home delivery or click and collect is fresh fruit and veg, ,we have seen how those are "picked?" compared  to what .we would picksurprised

Posted on 01/12/2021 12:46

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

JVB66 replied on 01/12/2021 12:53

Posted on 01/12/2021 12:46 by

When you see the order pickers with a large  number of baskets  to fill and no doubt under time pressure to get on with it its not surprising they wont be carefully picking the best looking fruit and veg.

Posted on 01/12/2021 12:53

Our grand daughter has said that just about every job at Tesco has been given a time to completesurprised 

She has also said she hates it when she is "supervising "the self checkout tills as that is where the majority of shoppers who try to fiddle the system head for undecided

vbfg replied on 01/12/2021 13:01

Posted on 01/12/2021 10:24 by DavidKlyne

I tend to agree. I think it easy for people to pontificate about what shops staff should do without realising they could be putting themselves in danger. Our local Co-Op has about half a dozen staff in at anyone time and they just don't have the numbers to police it. Larger stores have security guards and they are in a better position to control things. Shop staff come in for enough abuse in normal times let alone during the pandemic. 

Posted on 01/12/2021 13:01

They are not the only ones to suffer abuse David!  I was talking to a warden at a site last month and he told me that many staff had left due to the amount of abuse they have received, especially this year.

Takethedogalong replied on 01/12/2021 13:24

Posted on 01/12/2021 12:46 by

When you see the order pickers with a large  number of baskets  to fill and no doubt under time pressure to get on with it its not surprising they wont be carefully picking the best looking fruit and veg.

Posted on 01/12/2021 13:24

It was never a problem with Tesco until this year to be honest, I can’t recall ever handing back fresh produce (and as a Veggie I am very picky). But it pays to check everything fresh and from deli in terms of dates at the moment. I have had stuff like hummus with use date same as delivery........useless. They get that back. I think it’s a delivery to store issue to be honest. Some stuff is sat too long before there’s a truck to deliver it.

Definitely no angst here around Xmas. I only need fresh veg, and I will go up to our hospital for that. There was a fantastic fresh fruit and veg stall outside on apron last time I was there. Best stuff I have seen in years. 

replied on 01/12/2021 13:33

Posted on 01/12/2021 13:24 by Takethedogalong

It was never a problem with Tesco until this year to be honest, I can’t recall ever handing back fresh produce (and as a Veggie I am very picky). But it pays to check everything fresh and from deli in terms of dates at the moment. I have had stuff like hummus with use date same as delivery........useless. They get that back. I think it’s a delivery to store issue to be honest. Some stuff is sat too long before there’s a truck to deliver it.

Definitely no angst here around Xmas. I only need fresh veg, and I will go up to our hospital for that. There was a fantastic fresh fruit and veg stall outside on apron last time I was there. Best stuff I have seen in years. 

Posted on 01/12/2021 13:33

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

JVB66 replied on 01/12/2021 13:41

Posted on 01/12/2021 13:24 by Takethedogalong

Posted on 01/12/2021 13:41

When I go shopping ,as many others seem to do is look for the longest sell by dates to be able to spread  our food dates out   ,where as as our grand dauters says the pickers do not have time to check dates so it could well be a very short window to use the delivery up ,or hopefully can be frozen to extend use by times

LLM replied on 01/12/2021 13:45

Posted on 01/12/2021 10:14 by DavidKlyne

Hope you are getting £12 a shot, like the doctors!!!!!

Posted on 01/12/2021 13:45

Thank you for the reminder - really very helpful!  In their defence they do have to pay expenses from that money.  In common with all members of the volunteer army, as Boris called us, I do get the odd crumb.  During my last six hour shift I got cold, moaned at because the queue wait was about 90 minutes at times and people had to stand outside in the cold and rain.  On the up side I had a free mug of instant coffee and a slightly soft bourbon biscuit. Oh, and five minute to have a pee.  

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook