What are you all up to

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:57

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:57

Got back from Fisher Field yesterday after a great weekend away.  Downside is van is filthy bit that will have to wait, more important jollities to enjoytongue-out House more or less decorated although not bothering with outside

Francis replied on 26/08/2019 17:38

Posted on 26/08/2019 17:38

Another warm sunny day here today. I’m sitting outside at the moment got the BBQ on would have been a nice weekend to have been away in the van no doubt next time we do get away it will be pouring lol

Bakers2 replied on 26/08/2019 18:13

Posted on 26/08/2019 18:13

Good job you didn't get to Frinton, Bakers, judging by what happened. Did they identify the problem?

we didn't get to Frinton Thursday for sheer volume of traffic, queuing up the slip road! That was due to Clacton airshow. Problem along the coast, I believe Clacton and Walton included, started yesterday. Not heard anything about identifying the cause, but breathing difficulties, advice is not to enter the water. Such a shame as it's been sorchio here, around 32.5c so would have been an ideal day for trip to the coast.  Traffic permitting 😉. 

We too have done very little today on heat grounds. We did go out for lunch to local tearooms and then on to my mum. A couple of small jobs for her, changing radio batteries. She has several battery radios all set to different stations! Don't ask! Most folk tune to the station they want 😂😤.  Change over 2 hanging baskets, literally swopping hooks for them. 1st one I took down had a stinging nettle that BIT me well and truly,  had to plunge arm in cold water before I could do anything more 😲😲😲. Its still tingling like mad.

Came away with my late dad's swagger stick. There was one on the TV programme recently The Repair Shop which caused me to ask mum which regiment dad was in when he got it. It has always lived in the hanging chain of the lounge mirror. It was the Hampshire's. He started off in the Essex but soon after enlisted at 18 they were transferred on mass to he Hampshire. He lightly eluded to reason when I was a child but it was a long time before I realised the real reason - big losses in battle 😢😢. Must now try to get his army records - I keep promising I will but haven't as yet. He did dictate his journey from Gold beach into Germany before he died but mum's not sure where she put it. Too hot to rummage today! If anyone can shed light on reason for presentation of a swagger stick I'm all ears, well in this case eyes 😉. Mum says good conduct. Mr Google not been much help so far and our wonderful Essex Regiment curator has retired, knowledge levels not quite what they were now 😉

Takethedogalong replied on 26/08/2019 21:19

Posted on 26/08/2019 21:19

Swagger sticks! My OH used a swagger stick when he was Training Officer in Fire Brigade! Most of the Officers used to make their own, using a chimney rod cut down, then brass ends made from plumbing bits, finally all polished up. OH used to use his Hunting cane which he had for doing Working Hunter classes when we used to show horses. They had to do a lot of shouting and bawling at recruits, pointing things out on parade ground, and for looking super smart on parade.

They originate with Roman Centurions, similar use, although I think things got a touch physical in terms of “encouragement” back then!😁 

An interesting memento.

milliehull replied on 26/08/2019 21:27

Posted on 26/08/2019 18:13 by Bakers2

Good job you didn't get to Frinton, Bakers, judging by what happened. Did they identify the problem?

we didn't get to Frinton Thursday for sheer volume of traffic, queuing up the slip road! That was due to Clacton airshow. Problem along the coast, I believe Clacton and Walton included, started yesterday. Not heard anything about identifying the cause, but breathing difficulties, advice is not to enter the water. Such a shame as it's been sorchio here, around 32.5c so would have been an ideal day for trip to the coast.  Traffic permitting 😉. 

We too have done very little today on heat grounds. We did go out for lunch to local tearooms and then on to my mum. A couple of small jobs for her, changing radio batteries. She has several battery radios all set to different stations! Don't ask! Most folk tune to the station they want 😂😤.  Change over 2 hanging baskets, literally swopping hooks for them. 1st one I took down had a stinging nettle that BIT me well and truly,  had to plunge arm in cold water before I could do anything more 😲😲😲. Its still tingling like mad.

Came away with my late dad's swagger stick. There was one on the TV programme recently The Repair Shop which caused me to ask mum which regiment dad was in when he got it. It has always lived in the hanging chain of the lounge mirror. It was the Hampshire's. He started off in the Essex but soon after enlisted at 18 they were transferred on mass to he Hampshire. He lightly eluded to reason when I was a child but it was a long time before I realised the real reason - big losses in battle 😢😢. Must now try to get his army records - I keep promising I will but haven't as yet. He did dictate his journey from Gold beach into Germany before he died but mum's not sure where she put it. Too hot to rummage today! If anyone can shed light on reason for presentation of a swagger stick I'm all ears, well in this case eyes 😉. Mum says good conduct. Mr Google not been much help so far and our wonderful Essex Regiment curator has retired, knowledge levels not quite what they were now 😉

Posted on 26/08/2019 21:27

Bakers2 I got my Dad's army records some years ago. Cost about £25 but maybe more now. Very intetesting to read. I cant now remember how I got them. Google might be your friend. If not let me know and I will have a rummage in my records.

Had a great afternoon at eldest son's BBQ. Lots of shade on their raised decking.😊 So lovely to have a family catch up. Pregnant grand-daughter absolutely blooming. Her fiance lived in Australia for a number of years and is King of the BBQ. 😁

Tammygirl replied on 26/08/2019 22:57

Posted on 26/08/2019 22:57

Bakers, I asked my OH where you would apply for your Dad's military records as he had done so on my behalf for my Dad.

OH says you want,

www.gov.uk\guidance\request-records-of-deceased-service-personnel

the cost is now £30. 

OH also says a swagger stick is usually carried by an 'Orderly' or an Officer. Seemingly at the time your Dad would have served most Officers carried them, was he an Officer, if not then he may well have been an 'Orderly' and just retained it after he finished service. 

Hope this is of some help.

Edit: If your Dad had medals and you would like them mounted or framed my eldest son does them as a 'side line' 

Bakers2 replied on 27/08/2019 08:52

Posted on 27/08/2019 08:52

Milliehull sounds like a great day. I have to say daughters kiwi friends do great bbqs and not just meat 😃. Glad your granddaughter is blooming.

Tammygirl thanks for the info, I had it somewhere 😉, price hasn't changed for years. Pretty certain dad was RSM.  It's definitely a swagger stick, wood with a slight curve I presume where he held it under his arm, with white metal tip and ball embossed with Hampshire crest. References keep saying about a pace stick, this isn't. I must try to re-watch the episode where chap had his repaired, he was same age as my dad would be, I recall and I'm sure he said he'd been awarded 4.

Takethedogalong interesting read, was his swagger stick ever used in anger 😉😂. One article I read said they were used to ensure hands stayed out of pockets. In that case I'd have thought one under each arm was only sure way!😂😂

My brother has dad's medals which dad proudly wore for Rememberance day, he used to play last post and revellie at the war memorial when I was a child. Still find it all very moving. My brother is in the throes of moving at the mo so I won't mention it yet!

Going to be another scorcher here again, talk of 33 😲, it's not overly humid but about 60% so reckon another day of essential duties only. This is where I miss the air conditioning of my working days 😂😂. Very warm overnight too.

Whatever you're doing enjoy your day folks

Bakers2 replied on 27/08/2019 11:30

Posted on 27/08/2019 11:30

Despite the heat I've attacked the golden heart ivy that we have growing up chain link fence at the bottom of the garden between us and neighbour. It had started to climb up the uninteresting tree and got very wayward. Haven't managed to trim as much as I'd like yet - too hot and my 2 full brown bins, but did manage to get everything in despite them being both 3/4 full at the start. Now very hot and dirty so off to shower before heading out to buy new secateurs as I realise ALL of  our selection are naff. Grass could do with a trim but no space for clippings unless I can beg some spare in a neighbours bin. We alledgedly have some rain 0.1mm forecast for tomorrow and about a 10 degree drop in temperature 😃 might need my winter woolies 😂😂😂 

Wherenext replied on 27/08/2019 13:23

Posted on 27/08/2019 13:23

Started off really nice and sunny but not too hot but has now clouded over and rain is forecast.

Managed a drive down to our nearest M&S this morning. I seemed to have misplaced my appetite, probably as a result of the meds, so we have decided to let M&S take the strain for a while. They do quite a reasonable selection of meals and part meals that I can have.

Wherenext replied on 27/08/2019 13:27

Posted on 27/08/2019 13:27

Message for TammyGirl.

TG, we may have to change our tow car to accommodate any new caravan we buy. I was already thinking about a car that could accommodate the bikes inside it and read about your new Verso. 

What model is it? I know you said you could take the seats out, which would be ideal for what we may be looking for. And if it isn't any trouble would it be possible to take a picture of the bikes inside when you next load it so that I could see what it looks like. If it's not possible then don't worry about it.

Thanks for any information you can give.

Bakers2 replied on 27/08/2019 14:27

Posted on 27/08/2019 13:23 by Wherenext

Started off really nice and sunny but not too hot but has now clouded over and rain is forecast.

Managed a drive down to our nearest M&S this morning. I seemed to have misplaced my appetite, probably as a result of the meds, so we have decided to let M&S take the strain for a while. They do quite a reasonable selection of meals and part meals that I can have.

Posted on 27/08/2019 14:27

Sorry to hear you've misplaced your appetite, hope it and the enthusiasm to create meals returns.

M&S have been doing my dinners quite a lot since January and they do offer a good choice and great quality in ready meals. They even do mini meals  which was sufficient at some points. Their frozen fish is always good and makes me feel like I've contributed towards 'making' dinner 😉

Whilst the enthusiasm to create meals hasn't returned, in my case, was it ever there? I do now prefer to prep my own so must be making progress! But when I've exhausted myself in the garden it's good to have them in the freezer.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook