What are you all up to

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:57

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:57

Got back from Fisher Field yesterday after a great weekend away.  Downside is van is filthy bit that will have to wait, more important jollities to enjoytongue-out House more or less decorated although not bothering with outside

ABM replied on 24/01/2020 21:52

Posted on 24/01/2020 21:17 by Oneputt

Was going to take off in the van this weekend as I have a hospital appointment for a biopsy on Wednesday, still will hopefully get away next weekend.

Our Homebase closed a few years ago.  Tomorrow our large Coop store closes and will reopen as another Morrison’s.  For a smallish but growing town we will have 2 Morrison’s 

All those not feeling good get well soon.  Anyone travelling hope the weather stays ok for you

Posted on 24/01/2020 21:52

A )  Very Best Wishes for the Biopsy, OP

B ) I get confused with these various store closures!  In Crewe we have B & Q , Wickes, Toolstation, Screwfix plus various sellers of building supplies.  Around the usual retail parks there are pound shops of various names ( seem to change titles every 6 months !! ) Where the heck do their customers come from  ??undecided

milliehull replied on 24/01/2020 22:31

Posted on 24/01/2020 21:17 by Oneputt

Was going to take off in the van this weekend as I have a hospital appointment for a biopsy on Wednesday, still will hopefully get away next weekend.

Our Homebase closed a few years ago.  Tomorrow our large Coop store closes and will reopen as another Morrison’s.  For a smallish but growing town we will have 2 Morrison’s 

All those not feeling good get well soon.  Anyone travelling hope the weather stays ok for you

Posted on 24/01/2020 22:31

All the best for the biopsy OP

brue replied on 25/01/2020 12:06

Posted on 25/01/2020 12:06

Very best wishes OP, hope it all goes well next week.

Talking of shops our town will be very changed if Beales closes down although M&S has survived so far. We lost our Home Base awhile back, recently the Range group set up there. We still have B&Q, Wickes etc. If I'm in Crewkerne I visit the nice old Ironmongers/DIY shop, an Aladdin's Cave! The original one inspired Ronnie Barker and his 4 candles. smile smile

OH is off out to see Steve Knightley this evening, an xmas present from one of the family.

Other than that I've counted a lot of birds and think this is a better year for us, possibly the milder weather?

Goldie146 replied on 25/01/2020 12:40

Posted on 25/01/2020 12:06 by brue

Talking of shops our town will be very changed if Beales closes down although M&S has survived so far. We lost our Home Base awhile back, recently the Range group set up there. We still have B&Q, Wickes etc. If I'm in Crewkerne I visit the nice old Ironmongers/DIY shop, an Aladdin's Cave! The original one inspired Ronnie Barker and his 4 candles. smile smile

OH is off out to see Steve Knightley this evening, an xmas present from one of the family.

Other than that I've counted a lot of birds and think this is a better year for us, possibly the milder weather?

Posted on 25/01/2020 12:40

I'm envious of your OH's Steve Knightley gig. We've seen him a lot on his own (as well as with Show of Hands and duos with Phil Beer), but this tour is not coming near enough for us to go (without staying over).

Maybe next  time!

And we also have a Beales. It's gone through various owners in the years I've shopped there. They had wonderful sales back in the 70's. I remember queueing outside to buy a pram and cot in 1972. And the wonderful haberdashery section. 

brue replied on 25/01/2020 12:44

Posted on 25/01/2020 12:44

Steve K originally taught at the school where one of our family works and so he's with many of his local faithful followers tonight! wink

PS Happy Burns Night for anyone partaking of the Great Chieftan o the puddin-race! laughing

DavidKlyne replied on 25/01/2020 14:34

Posted on 25/01/2020 12:06 by brue

Posted on 25/01/2020 14:34

Beales had some shops in quite small places, I remember seeing one in Beccles last year so closure will probably have a bigger impact on the smaller towns than the larger where there might be an alternative. Even here in MK we are losing the House of Fraser store after 40 years. That will leave JL and Debenhams but I wonder how secure the latter is? This is not the first time there has been a shakeout of such stores, think back to the sixties in London and names like Derry and Toms, Gamages, Marshall and Snellgrove  and Whitleys.

David

ggregu replied on 25/01/2020 14:35

Posted on 25/01/2020 14:35

Just been to Kendal. It’s really sad to see Beales  being emptied with things being sold at a knockdown price. It was a good shop, selling quality clothes, shoes and household goods. Will certainly be missed if it does close. One or two of the staff were hopeful that a buyer would be found as apparently the building is owned and not rented.

On the way back I stopped at Low Sizergh Farm for lunch. Spotted what looks to be a small CL type site below the car park. Anyone know anything about this? Would be great for a short hop weekend if it was !

Takethedogalong replied on 25/01/2020 15:08

Posted on 25/01/2020 15:08

Been to our neighbour’s funeral this morning. Must have been five hundred people there, he was a much loved and popular man. Lovely humanist service, very personal, lots of family and friends, work colleagues and political pals. First time I have ever sung the Red Flag and the Internationale. He was buried after in a tranquil woodland cemetery. Trees will be planted, and he can rest amongst his beloved birds. Strange seeing all the local children from our street back together, all grown up now. Lots of old neighbours came back as well, good to catch up.

We have been priming our garden to do the count tomorrow brue, we have one looking in front garden, one looking in back.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook