What are you all up to

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:57

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:57

Got back from Fisher Field yesterday after a great weekend away.  Downside is van is filthy bit that will have to wait, more important jollities to enjoytongue-out House more or less decorated although not bothering with outside

RedKite replied on 09/08/2022 08:25

Posted on 09/08/2022 08:25

As our place is a modern bungalow and there is a loft of sorts but no stuff in it too small and just cables across the space, seems to be over here that modern properties do not have big lofts and hence no storage space, friends of ours have and older house but not loft as their lounge/dining/kitchen ceiling is very high but they have an outside building and a large wooden type shed at the bottom of their field and part of that is a shelter for  their two donkeys  and at the moment trying to sort stuff our from her OH's  move from UK.

I usually have a sort out in our outside cellier and need to do some at the one end of OH's shed that will be fun I am fairly tidy OH not so good seems to be like his late father, that is a job for the winter to hot at present and 40C forecast for tomorrow roll on the weekend as it looks to get cooler and perhaps RAIN!!!

Goldie146 replied on 09/08/2022 08:53

Posted on 09/08/2022 08:53

Yesterday a contractor came with his big machines and got in our Wholecrop (peas and barley undersown with grass). The ohotos don't show the steepeness, but it all came in safely.

JVB66 replied on 09/08/2022 09:06

Posted on 09/08/2022 08:25 by RedKite

As our place is a modern bungalow and there is a loft of sorts but no stuff in it too small and just cables across the space, seems to be over here that modern properties do not have big lofts and hence no storage space, friends of ours have and older house but not loft as their lounge/dining/kitchen ceiling is very high but they have an outside building and a large wooden type shed at the bottom of their field and part of that is a shelter for  their two donkeys  and at the moment trying to sort stuff our from her OH's  move from UK.

I usually have a sort out in our outside cellier and need to do some at the one end of OH's shed that will be fun I am fairly tidy OH not so good seems to be like his late father, that is a job for the winter to hot at present and 40C forecast for tomorrow roll on the weekend as it looks to get cooler and perhaps RAIN!!!

Posted on 09/08/2022 09:06

I was under the impression that property over there does not have lofts as they are always "unfinished?" as tax has to be paid on finished houses 🤔👍👌😀

RedKite replied on 09/08/2022 10:30

Posted on 09/08/2022 10:30

A lot of rules have since changed to catch folk out for tax purposes.

Just pruned the two buddleja shrubs and sorted out my dried lavender ready to make some lavender bags, it is a bit warm now for more gardening so other chores to do.

brue replied on 09/08/2022 12:24

Posted on 09/08/2022 12:24

Just tried to post but lost it and got logged out too, strange.undecided

We're on a short coastal break, nice THS on the coast with farm land around us, much like home but everything baled up. A good coastal breeze, the sea is warm but has the quality of soup, however I might be tempted if it gets too warm. 

Heard a nice little radio broadcast from Rufs home area this morning, all about favourite beaches.

RedKite replied on 09/08/2022 12:32

Posted on 09/08/2022 12:32

Looks good where you are brue and enjoy your short break, another 4 weeks for our next foray and hope it will be cooler.

Bakers2 replied on 09/08/2022 13:23

Posted on 08/08/2022 21:17 by Goldie146

We don’t have easily accessed lofts, but do have a Box Room. There’s paperwork and family stuff going back to nearly 100 years. We won’t be the ones to get rid of it. Just pass onto the next generation. 

I’m a hoarder, married into a family of hoarders. It’s a big house, but full of stuff we probably don’t need. But you never know. It might come in useful.

i tend to box things up, put to one side and my OH reluctantly takes down the cellar, or up to the Box Room. Or one of the bedrooms. 

Posted on 09/08/2022 13:23

Goldie DON'T EVER throw those papers out! Sorry for shouting.

You could always chat to your local archives and offer them, as a loan, they could be sorted and stored in optimum conditions, free of charge to you 😉. Researchers could access them if you choose, could be very useful for dissertations and thesis. You can retain the copyright too.

I so wish there was a personal message system on here 🤐. Don't use sellotape or similar and keep in a constant temperature as best you can, thus it's great you don't have a loft 😀. Old papers and parchment can be read by anyone, we had stuff going back to the 900's in Essex  - sadly it related to Devon, but once you'd got your eye in they could be read. We had/have DVD's, which deteriorated badly after 30 years, nice pink skies on those for the new town of South Woodham Ferrers. Some fabulous sound recordings of  local dialects and music as well as reminiscences on reel to reel and cassette tapes that deteriorates  too even if the equipment still works. 

Hot hot here

Bakers2 replied on 09/08/2022 13:46

Posted on 09/08/2022 13:46

Beautiful photos brue.

It's hot hot here. Gardening help in, I'm not helping at all - unless you count staying out the way! He says he's damp in places he didn't know had sweat glands 😱.  Work requested has been to work in the shadiest places possible.

We are now picking lovely Victoria plums and supplying cul du sac,  tomatoes and grapes - not offering those yet. Grapes have done very well on sheer neglect, very small and sweet. Just dropped some to son and Co when I went to their village butchers and a farm to buy eggs. Minor panic as I learnt this morning one guest tomorrow, the child has dairy allergy but sorted and I'm calm now.

Saw a huge plume of smoke in another village ?field? 😱. Son and family at MIL farm Sunday having dinner late afternoon. Saw a combine in the field behind theirs, said look ****** combine, only just got the words out when they saw it reverse and smoke. Driver out safely, local farmers around created firebreaks and one bought bowser. Fire brigade there in 15 minutes, luckily for our family it was going in the opposite direction, combine gone and at least 30 acres . DIL very reluctant to get combining again.

That said since the really hot weather I have seen dog ends, and haven't before, on footpaths in crop fields harvested and unharvested 😱😱😱 and yesterday I picked up 2 cider cans in a stubble field 🤬🤬🤬🤐🤐🤐

Right lunch break over, a few gentle jobs in the cool - if I can find either.

ABM the door doesn't quite go to the wall, and carpet thickens as it goes that way so plaster should be safe 🤞.

It's these days I miss working in archives, constant 16c dressed for winter regardless of the season!

ABM replied on 09/08/2022 14:32

Posted on 09/08/2022 14:32

" so plaster should be safe  "

Delighted to hear that Bakers"  !!  wink

Everybody very lucky to read posts this morning  ~~  I'd just composed an article worthy of my talents before bed-time when the whole verdammet thing got washed away by Essential Maintenance  Grrr yell.

Still grumpy this morning, so much so that the milk curdled as I poured it onto my porridge/ porage  ~~ scooped it into waste food bin and it damaged the bottom when it landed  !!  Double Grrr  yell  Grrr yell

Takethedogalong replied on 09/08/2022 16:59

Posted on 09/08/2022 16:59

Hot and getting hotter here. This is it……the pool goes up this week🥳🤩

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook