Website downtime

Tinwheeler replied on 11/09/2022 20:07

Posted on 11/09/2022 20:07

No advance notice and no note of explanation or apology have been given for taking the site down for around 24 hours. I'm saddened at the ignorance displayed. Not shocked because, sadly, it’s what I’ve come to expect from CAMC these days. The lack of courtesy is nothing less than appalling and is symptomatic of CAMC's attitude towards its customers/members.

Hawthorn37 replied on 14/09/2022 20:27

Posted on 14/09/2022 20:27

I’m new to this forum, not even got a proper screen name as the required functionality appears to be unavailable  wink.

So, is this content reviewed and/ or commented on by club management?  

I ask, because I see no acknowledgement or apology for the issues the new bookings page is creating. Not managing the message is almost as poor as not managing the website update. 

I understand that volumes of people trying to access the site is an issue (but not if it had been designed properly).  What I’m not clear about is whether the reduction in basic functionality is by design, or by mistake.

The old bookings page, provided :

1. A search by geographic area.  Now, my reading is that a search on Location, gives streets, but not areas. ‘Scotland’ gives you Scotland Avenue, Scotland Terrace etc,

2. Availability of a site by pitch type. This allowed you to book a suitable slot.  Now it’s a game of chance. 11th to 18th June = No, try again. 

3. Filter sites by dates so full sites are not shown. Now all sites in the area of search are shown, whether they’re available, full, or closed. 

I accept that all new websites have glitches, but to me these are fairly important requirements. Hopefully they are transitory issues, but I’d like some sort of update from the Club.  

Tinwheeler replied on 14/09/2022 20:51

Posted on 14/09/2022 20:27 by Hawthorn37

I’m new to this forum, not even got a proper screen name as the required functionality appears to be unavailable  wink.

So, is this content reviewed and/ or commented on by club management?  

I ask, because I see no acknowledgement or apology for the issues the new bookings page is creating. Not managing the message is almost as poor as not managing the website update. 

I understand that volumes of people trying to access the site is an issue (but not if it had been designed properly).  What I’m not clear about is whether the reduction in basic functionality is by design, or by mistake.

The old bookings page, provided :

1. A search by geographic area.  Now, my reading is that a search on Location, gives streets, but not areas. ‘Scotland’ gives you Scotland Avenue, Scotland Terrace etc,

2. Availability of a site by pitch type. This allowed you to book a suitable slot.  Now it’s a game of chance. 11th to 18th June = No, try again. 

3. Filter sites by dates so full sites are not shown. Now all sites in the area of search are shown, whether they’re available, full, or closed. 

I accept that all new websites have glitches, but to me these are fairly important requirements. Hopefully they are transitory issues, but I’d like some sort of update from the Club.  

Posted on 14/09/2022 20:51

Hi again. 

The forum is not monitored by club staff in any great depth. However, this recent fiasco does appear to be being watched to some degree and Rowena, the Community Manager, has posted both in this thread and in What Have They Done as well as starting her own thread on the topic. There is no in depth explanation or meaningful apology though and she has not addressed the issues I raised in my OP of this thread. In 10 years of using this forum I cannot recall any member of senior management posting here.

There are volunteer moderators who police the forum in terms of making sure rules of posting are not broken and they tidy up duplicate threads and so on but they are not staff and usually have no greater knowledge of events than you or I.

I can’t address the other points you and dozens of others have raised because I’m as much in the dark as you.

I don’t know if that helps at all.

OnlyJen replied on 15/10/2022 12:38

Posted on 15/10/2022 12:38

I can only agree with TW. The contempt the club demonstrates towards it's members is quite breathtaking. My planning for our 600 mile charity bike ride for next year is almost complete. Of the 9 campsites booked only one is CAMC, the Wirral, where we are starting from.

It took me over 4 hours to book two pitches on that site including time on the phone waiting for "a team member to become available".

To book two pitches on the next 8 sites took me a couple of hours. A quick email mostly, "Hi there, have you got room for two old biddies on bikes, one camper and one caravan?" ..."yes, of course, booked".

Just how hard is it to make something so simple into something so slow, clunky, unreliable, contradictory and globally shutting down the whole website for hours on end during interminable maintenance periods? ? The IT dept must have worked very hard indeed to make it so unworkable and the least the club members could expect is an open, honest apology from the management with a clear plan for how they are going to address what are intolerable interruptions of service to the members.

brue replied on 15/10/2022 16:07

Posted on 15/10/2022 16:07

I think they are spending much of the time improving the booking experience, one fix after another. If you look in the booking experience update section it is never ending, sadly. It's a bit like the search for infinity in outer space....wink

ABM replied on 21/10/2022 22:39

Posted on 21/10/2022 22:39

It was born under a wanderin' star 

Thank you Brue  --  i can always do with a free lead in .............

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook