Experience the very best of the Lake District with Mountain Journeys, specialising in mountain adventures since 2009. Of...View and Book
The Estate Patterdale
Glenridding, Penrith, Cumbria, CA11 0PJView on map
Why stay here ...
A lovely little five pitch riverside CL site for club member’s only, located in the foothills of Helvellyn amidst ancient woodland next to Grisedale Beck. The site is situated on a private estate at the southern tip of Ullswater, England’s most beautiful lake. All CL guests have access to a private foreshore for fishing or boating & lake view picnic area a short walk from the site. Ullswater provides the ideal destination for relaxation and exploration.
- All pitches are hardstanding, with electric hook up and picnic table
- Satellite & terrestrial Freeview
- Free Wi-Fi
- Cold water tap & chemical waste disposal point, including grey water disposal
- We do not have any toilet or shower facilities on site
- Small tents are allowed as long as they fit on your pitch, with a supplementary charge of £4 per night
- Arrival and departure is midday
- Vodafone is currently the only network provider in the area
- TV signal is good
- Launderette nearby, free to use (donation tin if you’re putting more than one load)
- Pets are welcome, but please keep dogs on a lead at all times whilst on the estate
The Local Area
- The site is situated in the heart of the Lake District with a multitude of walks available from your doorstep including Place Fell, High Street, St Sunday Crag, Fairfield, Helvellyn, the Howtown to Glenridding lakeshore walk, and the wonderful new Ullswater Way which circumnavigates Ullswater and includes a fascinating Heritage Trail.
- Within a 10 minute stroll from the local shops, post office, cafes, restaurants and pubs in the villages of Glenridding and Patterdale.
- From Glenridding you can catch one of the Ullswater Steamers to the piers at Aira Point (for Aira Force Waterfall & tearooms and the 3 mile walk back to the site); Howtown (for walks including the 6 mile lakeshore path back to Patterdale); or Pooley Bridge. The other option is not to walk at all and just sit back and enjoy a cruise to the various points, or opt for the full round the Lake Pass and finally explore the new footpath, The Ullswater Way which navigates all around Lake Ullswater. We have Steamer discount vouchers available in the estate office upon request.
- Centrally located within the National Park the site is ideally situated for touring the Lake District and is under 30 minutes from Windermere, Ambleside, Keswick, Kendal, Penrith etc.
- St Patrick’s Boat Hire (rowing boats, motor boats)
- Glenridding Sailing School (sailing boats, canoes)
- Fishing permits available locally – just a standard rod license required.
- Activity providers such as Reach Beyond Adventure (gorge walking, bush craft, climbing, walking, canoeing etc.).
- Ullswater Steamers, Rheged, Dalemain, Lowther Castle and many more attractions nearby.
We are extremely lucky to have dark skies great for stargazing. On a clear night it is still possible to see the Milky Way with the naked eye.
- Based just off the A592 many places such as Ambleside, Windermere, Coniston, Keswick & Penrith all within a 30 minute drive.
- Bus Service 508 from Penrith
- Nearest train station is Penrith.
Latest arrival time: 12:00 AM
Electric amperage: 10
Great savings on days out
Offers available to Club members
Log in to write a review
Just returned home after 3 nights at this perfect site. As a base for bagging some Wainwrights it doesn’t come much better than this. I reckon you could do a different walk every day for a couple of weeks without having to move your van. Our idea of heaven. Spotless facilities and wifi that enabled me to stream football on my phone (wife had fallen asleep by then, Helvellyn had finished her off 😂) All in all an excellent site in an amazing location. We will definitely be back, we do have another 209 Wainwrights to bag after all.