Covid - news and views

brue replied on 08/02/2021 13:35

Posted on 08/02/2021 13:35

It's good to hear that members of CT are receiving their vaccinations, good luck to all those yet to have theirs. It seems like a long haul till we get everyone sorted and hear the results of the present vaccines. 

I'm leaving this open for non political comments as per the guidelines. Hope you can add your own experiences and thoughts.

My first jab comes up tomorrow, I'm so glad we have research institutions that have got us this far! And I am planning breaks away in the hope of improvements on the horizon.

JVB66 replied on 08/12/2021 21:56

Posted on 06/12/2021 17:15 by DavidKlyne

There does seem to be a degree on non joined up writing at the moment for the NHS. Today I received both and email and a text telling me I was eligible for a COVID Booster vaccination but according to their records I have not yet taken up the offer. I had my booster on 1st November and it shows on my NHS App so how come they don't know about it? Difficult to know what to do, leave it in the hope they will get their records straight or contact them?

David

Posted on 08/12/2021 21:56

Like all things it seems, if your booster was not entered correctly then the information coming out the other end will also be incomplete

cyberyacht replied on 09/12/2021 09:38

Posted on 08/12/2021 21:45 by SteveL

I was rather amazed to hear that the changes announced today, along with vaccine passports for certain venues included wearing masks in cinemas and theatres. Why was this not already the  case, they are indoor spaces where the public is gathering and you are likely to be close to others for longer than you might on a bus, where it is already compulsory.

Posted on 09/12/2021 09:38

Such anomalies and inconsistencies add to the reluctance to comply with any directives quite apart from any party that may or may not have occurred.

It is interesting that the possibility of compulsory vaccination is now being mooted. We do seem faced, at the moment, with our liberties being constrained to enable the anti-jabbers to retain their liberty to refuse. ISTM that the minority are given preference over the majority.

Rufs replied on 09/12/2021 09:38

Posted on 09/12/2021 09:38

"Interesting point made by "the Saj" in the Commons statement this evening to the effect that, if I understood it correctly, as the Omicron variant becomes dominant there wold be little justification for extending the recently imposed travel restrictions (or did I completely mishear that?)"

think that was correct, but i think it is a case of dammed if you do dammed if you dont, it is ok saying we have to protect our borders but by the time travel restrictions are put in place whatever we are trying to prevent from entering has already entered, so all that is achieved is a possible slow down of whatever we are trying to keep out running amoke, but even yesterday the scientists were saying that Omicom is probably much more prevalent than is being reported because many labs are still not geared up to detect Omicom or that the process takes longer

DavidKlyne replied on 09/12/2021 10:22

Posted on 09/12/2021 09:38 by cyberyacht

Such anomalies and inconsistencies add to the reluctance to comply with any directives quite apart from any party that may or may not have occurred.

It is interesting that the possibility of compulsory vaccination is now being mooted. We do seem faced, at the moment, with our liberties being constrained to enable the anti-jabbers to retain their liberty to refuse. ISTM that the minority are given preference over the majority.

Posted on 09/12/2021 10:22

Beyond a few professions, which is already the case, I think compulsory vaccination would be wrong, individuals must be in control of what happens to their body. However there is usually more than one way to skin a cat and perhaps the way forward would be to make it difficult for unvaccinated people to do things. This seems to be a common approach in other countries. That is where vaccine passports could help. Imagine the uptake of the vaccine if people had to show proof of vaccination to see their doctor, dentist or even visit a hospital for a routine appointment. It won't happen but even talking about it might just trigger an increase in vaccine uptake. On Newsnight last night there was the CEO of a polling company and she said that the public are far ahead of the politicians in accepting restrictions if the feel it will keep them safer. One persons civil liberty is another's safety net!!!

David

SteveL replied on 09/12/2021 11:06

Posted on 09/12/2021 10:22 by DavidKlyne

Beyond a few professions, which is already the case, I think compulsory vaccination would be wrong, individuals must be in control of what happens to their body. However there is usually more than one way to skin a cat and perhaps the way forward would be to make it difficult for unvaccinated people to do things. This seems to be a common approach in other countries. That is where vaccine passports could help. Imagine the uptake of the vaccine if people had to show proof of vaccination to see their doctor, dentist or even visit a hospital for a routine appointment. It won't happen but even talking about it might just trigger an increase in vaccine uptake. On Newsnight last night there was the CEO of a polling company and she said that the public are far ahead of the politicians in accepting restrictions if the feel it will keep them safer. One persons civil liberty is another's safety net!!!

David

Posted on 09/12/2021 11:06

It might work if the passport does have to show you have been vaccinated to gain admission. However, not if it is the currently proposed watered down version, where a lateral flow test will do. You are requested to register them once you have completed them and they show on your passport but there is no proof that they have been carried out.

Not that it will be an issue for us. A socially distanced, masked up Christmas lights at Chatsworth  yesterday, is about as hectic as it will get in the foreseeable future.😂

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 09/12/2021 13:22

Posted on 09/12/2021 11:20 by JVB66

There was an interview on one of the news programmes yesterday from a covid ward at an NHS and was said by the staff four out of every five on the ward were unvacinated yell

Posted on 09/12/2021 13:22

Folk should be allowed to choose yes or no re vax, it does become contentious when the hardcore naysayers are costing lives due to their stand. They need to be kept from society by creating a passport that we all use to access crowded areas. The anti vax folk who are also anti maskers are the biggest worry☹️

replied on 09/12/2021 13:40

Posted on 09/12/2021 13:40

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

compass362 replied on 09/12/2021 13:41

Posted on 09/12/2021 13:22 by Rocky 2 buckets

Folk should be allowed to choose yes or no re vax, it does become contentious when the hardcore naysayers are costing lives due to their stand. They need to be kept from society by creating a passport that we all use to access crowded areas. The anti vax folk who are also anti maskers are the biggest worry☹️

Posted on 09/12/2021 13:41

Totally agree 100%  Rocky2Buckets, for some the whole sad covid issue as been just one big inconvenience from the start of it to yesterday's plan b changes to try and make things safer for everyone. 

Half of the main shops & supermarkets in our area are running scared of approaching anyone that isn't doing what's being asked of them on entering said premises ie wear a face covering or even gelling hands. 

I don't have a crumb of sympathy for anyone that asn't had vaccinations or booster that contract covid & end up in hospital. 

Selfish beyond belief. 

JVB66 replied on 09/12/2021 13:59

Posted on 09/12/2021 13:41 by compass362

Totally agree 100%  Rocky2Buckets, for some the whole sad covid issue as been just one big inconvenience from the start of it to yesterday's plan b changes to try and make things safer for everyone. 

Half of the main shops & supermarkets in our area are running scared of approaching anyone that isn't doing what's being asked of them on entering said premises ie wear a face covering or even gelling hands. 

I don't have a crumb of sympathy for anyone that asn't had vaccinations or booster that contract covid & end up in hospital. 

Selfish beyond belief. 

Posted on 09/12/2021 13:59

As was said to me by the manager of our local coop, ,we cannot sustain the cost of security personnel  to question and stop non face covered people    Staff get enough grief from some customers without the added stress of what they would very likely get if they confronted those without  face coverings

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook