Taking your pet touring overseas

For most people, pets are part of the family, so it’s natural for you to want them to join you on holiday. The good news is it’s possible to take your dog or cat to Europe, provided it has been micro chipped and has a valid pet passport.

Getting a pet passport

A pet passport lists the different treatments your pet has had and can be obtained from your local vet. Your pet will need to meet certain entry requirements, so you’ll need to bring your pet, its identity and vaccination records and – if you have them – any rabies test results along with you.

Find out more about pet passports.

Pets on ferries

Each operator has its own rules on pet transportation. Please enquire about specific regulations for your chosen ferry operator when booking your pet’s travel through our Contact Centre.

Pets on overseas sites

Before you travel, remember to check whether the sites you are staying on accept pets, and if there are any restrictions in place about the number or type of pet that’s accepted.

Typically dogs are required to be kept on a lead at all times must not be left unattended for long periods of time. Be sure to check with the campsite whether dogs can be walked on-site or if there is a specific area in which they can be exercised.

Restrictions on pets abroad

Some countries impose restrictions on the type of dog that is allowed to be imported under the Pet Passport Scheme. Please find below the restrictions for France, Spain, Ireland and the Netherlands:


Travelling to France

France has two types of restrictions when it comes to travelling with dogs:

Category 1 dogs – these are classified as dangerous.

  • any dog of the type known as American Staffordshire Terrier without a pedigree (also known as Pitbulls)
  • any dog of the type known as Mastiff
  • any dog of the type known as a Tosa without a pedigree

Category 2 dogs – all dogs (except Rottweilers) must have a pedigree and be registered with a breed society.

  • Staffordshire Terrier
  • American Staffordshire Terrier
  • Tosa
  • Rottweiler

Category 2 dogs must be kept muzzled and on a lead at all times in public.

For more information on taking your pet to France, visit the French Embassy website.


Travelling to Ireland

The following breeds of dog must be kept on a leash and securely muzzled when in public, at all times they must wear a collar bearing the name and address of the owner.

  • American Pit Bull Terrier
  • Bull Mastiff
  • Doberman Pinscher
  • English Bull Terrier
  • German Shepherd (Alsatian)
  • Japanese Akita
  • Japanese Tosa
  • Rhodesian Ridgeback
  • Rottweiler
  • Staffordshire Bull Terrier

Movement of dogs and cats between Great Britain and Ireland is administered by the Department of Agriculture, Fisheries & Food, and current information is available on their website.


Travelling to Spain

The following breeds are not banned from entering Spain, but they must be registered within 3 months of entry:

  • Pit Bull Terrier
  • Staffordshire Bull Terrier
  • American Staffordshire Terrier
  • Rottweiler
  • Dogo Argentino,
  • Fila Brasiliero
  • Tosa Inu
  • Akita Inu


Travelling to Denmark

The following breeds and/or cross-breeds of dogs cannot be taken into Denmark:

  • Pitbull
  • Tosa
  • American Stafforshire Terrier
  • Fila Brasielero
  • Dogo Argentino
  • American Bulldog
  • Boerbull
  • Kangal
  • Ovcharka
  • Tornjak
  • Sarplaninac


Travelling to the Netherlands

(Information supplied by the Voedsel en Waren Autoriteit (VWA)

All breeds can be imported into the Netherlands, unless they show aggressive behaviour.


Travelling to Belgium

(Information supplied by the Sécurité de la Chaine alimentaire et Environnement)

There is no national legislation regarding dangerous dogs. However, each individual local authority can impose its own rules, which range from compulsory muzzling to banning certain breeds. You will need to contact the campsite you plan to visit to find out if any local laws apply.

If you are planning to visit other countries please contact the relevant embassy to check if there are any restrictions.


Coming back to the UK

In 2012 the laws around pets re-entering the UK were amended.

Where pets are re-entering the UK from countries participating in the Pet Passport Scheme, treatment for ticks is no longer required. Tapeworm treatment should be administered between 24 and 120 hours before your scheduled entry back to the UK, and rabies injections must be administered 21 days for return to the UK.

Find out more about returning to the UK.

General Advice

  • In some countries you may be asked to muzzle your dog in public places or when using public transport.
  • Consider purchasing an identification tag with 00 44 preceding your mobile number if you travel overseas regularly.
  • Check your dog’s passport at the end of your visit to the vet for the tapeworm treatment to make sure the details and date have been completed correctly.
  • Most countries in Europe have legislation in place which requires dogs to be restrained when they are travelling in vehicles so they are not able to distract the driver.

Top questions

This is my first visit abroad with my caravan/motorhome. How can the Club help?

The Club's first time abroad section explains everything you need to know about going on your first overseas touring holiday.

See more

Special offer

Clinique Vétérinaire Opalia is offering Caravan and Motorhome Club members a discounted price of €30.00 (plus the cost of the drugs which is dependent on the dog’s weight) for the pet passport tapeworm treatment. Visit website

Please mention you're a Caravan and Motorhome Club member at the time of booking.

The English-speaking staff can be contacted on 0033 321 834 602 or by email.

Email now