Our 10-point checklist
1. Is the hitch fully down over the tow ball?
2. Is the hitch head lever fully closed (down)?
3. Are the visual indicators (if fitted) showing the right colour?
4. Wind down the jockey wheel until it raises the back of the car by 25-50mm to confirm that a secure coupling has been achieved.
5. Is the breakaway cable correctly attached, passing through the cable guide, loose but not dragging, and will not snag on full lock?
6. If fitted, is the stabiliser correctly attached, with the stabilising mechanism engaged and any visual indicator showing correct operation?
7. Is the jockey wheel fully retracted and stowed away securely?
8. Are the electrics correctly attached and free from dragging or snagging on full lock?
9. Are all the lights working?
10. Carry out a final check on the hitch